Ginger ale (English Ginger Ale) - a sweet highly carbonated drink with the aroma of ginger. Ginger ale is first mentioned in the United States. It is used in its pure form or as a component of a cocktail with strong alcohol (vodka, gin, whiskey). In the film industry, it is used as a visual replacement for real beer, so that the actors do not get drunk.
Ginger ale is of two types: "light" and "dark." Dark ginger ale has a brown tint and a pronounced ginger aroma.
The drink was invented in the 70s of the XIX century by Dr. Thomas Cantrell, an American pharmacist and surgeon.
Ginger ale in the traditional recipe is actually ginger, sugar and sparkling water. Also, the traditional recipe provides for fermenting yeast and spices. Many manufacturers use honey, various fruits or berries, as well as tea petals.
To prepare ginger ale, you need 5 ingredients. The amount is based on 2 liters of ale.
- Ginger Root - 2 Tbsp
- Cane Sugar - 1 cup
- Lemon - 1/2 pieces
- Yeast - 1/4 teaspoon
- Water - 2 liters
Wash lemon and ginger well. Peel and chop the ginger, squeeze the juice out of the lemon. In a five-liter container, mix sugar and yeast, add a mixture of ginger and lemon juice. Top up with water, leaving a little space. Mix well and close the lid with a water seal. After two days, remove the water seal and put the ale in the refrigerator for another two days.
Ginger ale is quite common in European medicine in the treatment of colds and some viral diseases, in the film industry, acts as an integral part of cocktails (mainly from whiskey), and is also often used in its pure form. The most famous brands are Schweppes and Evervess - they are produced in Russia. Not every store can buy ginger ale because of its low popularity.
Natural Gassed Alcoholic Ginger Ale Recipe
It is called alcoholic conditionally, since fermentation lasts only 2 days. However, you should not drive after such ale. For cooking, you will need: a 2-liter plastic bottle, saucepan, ginger root, lemon, champagne or ordinary baker's yeast, more needed for carbonating the drink, as well as sugar and a little salt. This recipe can be attributed to the classic, it is described in Emma Christensen's book True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home.
p, blockquote 5,0,0,0,0 ->
- 5 cm of ginger root (it should turn out 2 tbsp. L. Grated)
- 250 ml of water + more to fill the bottle
- 9 tablespoons of sugar + to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice (2-3 lemons) + to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dry yeast for champagne (1/3 tablespoon ordinary bakery type Saf Levure).
Peel and grate on a fine grater - it should end up with 2 tablespoons with a slide (here it is neat, since ginger is burning and is not recommended for people with stomach diseases). In a small saucepan, boil 250 ml of water, remove from heat and dissolve sugar and salt in it. Add ginger and let the mixture brew until the water has cooled completely (up to 30 degrees if baking yeast is used). Add lemon juice and pour the workpiece into a two-liter plastic bottle, then add water almost to the very neck, leaving places somewhere 2-3 cm.
p, blockquote 6.0,0,0,0,0 ->
Try the drink and add sugar and lemon juice if necessary. Pour in the yeast, shake the bottle well and place it aerate away from sunlight at room temperature. Typically, carbonation of a beverage lasts from 12 to 48 hours depending on the fermentation temperature. A sign of the end of carbonation is the bloating of the bottle - when it is hard as a stone, then the drink is ready and needs to be transferred to the refrigerator for a period of 24 hours to two weeks. You need to open the bottle over the sink, slowly releasing carbon dioxide. Before use, ginger ale needs to be filtered through a sieve or several layers of gauze. You can drink it right away.
p, blockquote 7,1,0,0,0 ->
p, blockquote 8,0,0,0,0 ->
p, blockquote 9,0,0,0,0 ->
- You can use glass bottles, but there is a risk of them breaking. To avoid this, always make one batch in plastic, which will be a kind of indicator of the readiness of the ale.
- If you do not like sweets and want to make dry ale, use sparkling water, in which dissolve only 1 tablespoon of sugar - it will be used to feed yeast crops.
- Alcohol in this ginger ale will be no more than 1%.
By the way, other ingredients can be used in this recipe. Some “good” ginger ales use up to 400 ingredients. Will fit well: vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peels and even peppers. Instead of sugar, you can use honey. As an alternative, I offer you a very good recipe with mint, while the fermentation will take place under a water seal, which means there will be more alcohol in the drink.
p, blockquote 10,0,0,1,0 ->
- 150-200 g of fresh ginger
- 1-2 lemons
- 300 g sugar
- 4 l of water
- mint to taste (start with 5-6 leaves)
- 1 tbsp. l baker's yeast
To start, prepare the basis: boil water in which we dilute sugar. Add mint there. We cool the mixture to 30 degrees and add yeast, which can be previously diluted in warm water at a ratio of 1:10 and left for 10-15 minutes until fermentation is activated. Next, peel the ginger, rub it on a fine grater and add to our sugar-mint mixture with yeast. Cut the lemon (s) in half, squeeze the juice out of them, add to the workpiece and mix well. Leave the mixture for 2 hours in a warm place until fermentation begins.
p, blockquote 11,0,0,0,0 ->
A dropper water trap, as the cheapest device for fermentation (except for a glove, of course)
Pour fermented ale into a 5-liter eggplant and put it under a water lock (it can be made from a dropper, described in the article on home cider) or put on a rubber glove with a hole in your finger. The optimum fermentation temperature is 27-28 degrees. We give the ale to ferment for 2 days and filter it through 2 layers of gauze, sweeten if necessary. We pour it into plastic bottles and send it to aerate in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
p, blockquote 12,0,0,0,0 ->
Classic Recipe for Alcoholic Ginger Ale
There are two varieties of ginger ale that can be prepared at home according to this recipe - dark and light.
The dark version has a reddish-brown tint and a distinctly tangible aroma of a specific spice.
The light appearance of the drink, in contrast to the first, has a straw shade with amber tints and a milder taste with a long-playing, warm ginger aftertaste.
Using the black root of ginger, you get a dark variety of alcohol, and thanks to the light root - a golden version. Ready alcohol has a strength of 2-3 turns and can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than two weeks.
|ginger root||5 cm|
|purified water||1.5-1.8 L|
|medium lemon||2 pcs.|
|granulated sugar||200 g|
|dry yeast||5 g|
- We peel the root and rinse thoroughly with running water.
- Grind the spice until smooth with a fine grater.
- In a saucepan, boil 300 ml of purified water, after which we remove it from the heat and add porridge-like ginger and granulated sugar.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until the grains of the latter are dissolved.
- Cool the mixture to a temperature of at least 30 degrees.
- Squeeze the juice from citrus fruits by any method convenient for you, after which we add it to the pan to the rest of the ingredients.
- We breed dry yeast according to the instructions on the packaging and also send it to the prepared mixture.
- The resulting wort is poured into a plastic two-liter bottle. It is better not to use a glass container in order to avoid an explosion if something goes wrong.
- The remaining free space is filled with purified water, leaving only 2-3 cm of free space from the neck.
- We seal the bottle tightly and transfer it to a dark place with a temperature regime of at least 19 degrees.
- We insist the wort for a day or two.
- As soon as the bottle becomes very hard, move the ale to the refrigerator for final aging for 3-5 days.
- Gently and slowly open the container and filter the finished alcohol through a gauze filter.
- Pour the purified ale into bottles and let it “rest” in a cold place for a couple of hours.
Recipe for Alcohol Free Ginger Ale
The preparation of this refreshing drink takes much less time than in the previous version, and does not require activation of the fermentation process. Ready ale is a flavored soda with a pronounced aroma of spices used.
Lemons can be replaced with orange or lime, they will give the soda an original citrus flavor. The use of black pepper is optional, but the rejection of a spicy spicy note will turn the drink into regular lemonade.
It will not occur to everyone that ginger and orange can be perfectly combined with each other. The presented recipe will allow you to enjoy a surprisingly delicious drink that has invigorating, refreshing effects and can become a worthy decoration of any family celebration.
- To begin with, I recommend getting detailed and very useful information about what beer is and how to “distinguish a beer drink from real beer”.
- Perhaps many will be interested in the answer to a very burning question, is it possible to combine antibiotics and beer. I also advise you to find out if you can drink non-alcoholic beer with antibiotics.
Just like that, you can cook delicious carbonated ginger ale, which will bring not only joy and pleasure to your life, but also help to improve your health.