Using a TV instead of a monitor for a computer allows you to watch movies, TV shows, run video games on the big screen. The advantages are obvious - maximum image detail, an impressive TV diagonal, a wide range of colors. However, how to connect the TV to the PC? Not all users know this. Therefore, now we will consider several proven methods that allow you to configure such synchronization.
What is better monitor or TV
Before proceeding to a discussion of connection methods, you first need to decide what is best for a computer: a monitor or a TV? To answer this question, you need to clearly articulate the criteria for evaluating a computer monitor and TV. The first criterion is convenience. Just note that monitors in this aspect are much better. This point of view is explained by several arguments:
- You cannot adjust the height or angle of the TV. Because of this, certain inconveniences appear. This disadvantage can be mitigated by placing the TV on the wall on the universal bracket. However, such a design will take up extremely large space. Not all users have the necessary free space in the room,
- the TV is much heavier than the monitor, in addition, it takes up much more free space. Therefore, if you have a miniature computer desk, then to place a 40-inch TV on it will be very problematic.
If we are talking about the correct position, then the distance from the computer screen to the user should be about 50 cm. If you use a TV with a diagonal of 30 inches or higher, the distance should increase. Otherwise, the user will not be able to capture the entire plane of the display.
Dynamic scenes create additional tension for vision. Therefore, it is desirable to increase the distance. According to the technical characteristics: color palette, set of functionality, resolution, refresh rate, superiority belongs to TV.
The best option is to purchase a TV with a diagonal of 26-27 inches. The screen resolution should be in the range of 1920x1080-2560x1440 pixels.
Screen Type Selection
To date, manufacturers use only two display manufacturing technologies - liquid crystals and plasma panels. The latter option is gradually losing relevance due to a short operational period. Therefore, LCD displays are a priority option for all users.
Using a plasma TV as a PC monitor is not the farsighted decision. Liquid crystal matrices are able to provide a higher screen resolution, which is manifested in image quality.
Of course, you can recall the TV with a CRT tube, but they have long been in the past. Therefore, it makes sense to focus on liquid crystal models. Analyzing the pros and cons of all types of screens, it must be said that the production of laser TVs is gradually increasing. However, this is still an experimental technology. The effect of laser displays on human vision has not been 100% studied.
Liquid crystal technology also has several subspecies. Mostly, the specifics of the backlight work. Each manufacturer supplies its products with branded "chips." For example, Samsung TVs are primarily Super AMOLED. Which is the best option? It is impossible to answer this question without context. You need to know what the purchase budget is, for what purpose TV is purchased, etc.
Connecting a TV to a computer
There are several ways. Conventionally, all available methods can be divided into two categories:
- wireless - creating a local network, direct Wi-Fi connection, using special adapters,
- wired - connect a TV to a computer using a cable and the available interfaces: HDMI, VGA, DVI.
Important! Not all interfaces are capable of simultaneously transmitting sound and video. Therefore, some users have to use additional wires to play the audio signal.
How to connect a TV to a PC? Each of the available options has its own strengths and weaknesses. The final choice should be made in accordance with the available interfaces and functionality of the TV. For example, if your model does not support Wi-Fi, but is equipped with an HDMI interface, then it is definitely worth using it.
Via HDMI or Displayport
The HDMI interface was created for use in consumer electronics. This connector is used to connect game consoles, players, projectors and other equipment. The main feature of this interface is that it transmits high-quality video and clear sound at the same time.
VESA invented Displayport. This input is intended to improve, and not become an analogue of HDMI. It is Displayport that can be called the end interface for connecting equipment to a computer.
For some reason, many manufacturers do not equip laptops and PCs with a Displayport connector, which is a negative point. Only HDMI is preferred. Today, such a port can be found on all types of modern technology. Although the functionality of Displayport is somewhat better. Especially worth noting is the extensive package of options that will be of interest to business users.
If you want to use a laptop with a separate screen, then it makes sense to overpay a bit to buy a model with Displayport support. As a result, the user will get more flexibility that HDMI cannot provide.
Instructions for connecting the TV to the computer via HDMI:
- Insert one cable plug into the computer connector and the other into the TV port.
- Take the remote control, and press the button "Input"and then select the main signal source HDMI.
- The TV screen will start to flash a little, and after a few seconds the computer desktop will appear.
It is possible that after the first connection, the image displayed on the big screen will not be displayed correctly. The problem can be easily fixed by setting up the PC accordingly. Click RMB on the empty space of the desktop. From the popup menu, select "Properties". Switch to tab "Options".
Click on the button "Additionally". Set the resolution suitable for your TV. The image will be displayed correctly. The essence of setting up Samsung TV or a device from any other manufacturer is that the user sets the highest screen resolution.
What to do if after connecting, the TV is not detected automatically? Press the button "To find". Wait for the search to complete. Set the highest value of the screen sweep. to do this, switch to the tab "Monitor"and then select “Frequent screen update”.
In section “Screen Setup” each can be assigned a serial number. 1 - main, and 2 - additional. Click on the button "Define". On the TV screen, the number 1 will appear, and on the computer monitor 2. To make changes, you need to in the section "Screen resolution", click on the second screen, and then put a checkmark in front of the “Make as primary monitor” field. When all this is done, be sure to save your changes.
To make the most flexible configuration, you need to open the properties of the video card, and then set the resolution of the desktop and perform color correction. For the changes to take effect, be sure to restart the PC.
What to do if the TV does not play sound? The problem is solved by conducting a system setup. You must select a TV as your default playback device. Instruction:
- Right-click on the speaker-shaped icon, which is located in the lower right part of the screen - the notification panel. Select item "Playback Devices".
- In the window that opens, a list of connected devices will be displayed, for example, "Speakers" and “LG TV”.
- Right-click on the name of your TV. Choose a team "Use by default". Click "OK"so that all changes take effect.
This is all you need to know about connecting your TV to a computer using the HDMI interface.
Using DVI and VGA
Practice shows that all TVs and PCs are equipped with one of these interfaces. If you compare them, it is better to give preference to DVI. The VGA connector is considered quite outdated, so it is used only in the most extreme cases. Imagine that you decide to configure synchronization via VGA. However, through a single free connector, the monitor is turned on. What to do?
You can purchase a special adapter - DVI to VGA. This adapter allows you to transform the video card connector into an additional VGA input. Remember that through the considered interfaces the video signal is transmitted exclusively. Therefore, in addition to the DVI or VGA cord, you must use a special audio cable, at both ends of which are 3.5 connectors.
Plug 3.5 is a standard connector used in classic computer audio systems: headphones, speakers, etc. Problems with the purchase of this cable should not arise. Cords are available for purchase at computer and electronics stores.
- Insert the cable plugs into the appropriate connectors on the computer and TV. Connection diagram - DVI-DVI or VGA-VGA (depending on the type of connection).
- Insert the plug into the audio output of the TV. The interface is labeled Audio-In. Use a dedicated audio cable.
- Turn on the PC and TV. Set the TV to VGA or DVI as the main source of the signal. To enter the source selection menu, press the “Input” button on the remote control.
To use the TV as a computer monitor, you must expand the desktop. The algorithm for performing this procedure will depend on the operating system used:
- Windows XP - click RMB on an empty desktop space. From the context menu, select “Properties”, and then go to the “Settings” tab. You must select the largest screen resolution,
- Windows 7 - right-click on an empty desktop space, and then select “Screen Resolution” from the context menu.
When the screen resolution is set, you can play the content.
Smart-TV models are equipped with a hardware module for wireless Internet connection. Therefore, the easiest way is to connect a PC and TV to your home Wi-Fi network. For this you need a router. Some models are not designed for wireless internet connection. The problem is solved by purchasing a special adapter. You can also set up TV and PC synchronization without a router.
Wireless synchronization is carried out according to one of two technologies - Miracast and Intel WiDi. The advantage of such a connection is that the user does not need a router. If you use a laptop with an Intel central processor of the third generation or older, as well as a built-in Wi-Fi module and a graphics chipset from this manufacturer, it means that the laptop supports WiDi technology. It is important that an operating system older than Windows 7 is installed on the PC. To set up synchronization with a modern TV, download the Intel Wireless Display utility to the computer.
Laptops that come with Windows 8.1 preinstalled predominantly always support Miracast technology. It is important that the TV also supports wireless technology. Modern models come with built-in Miracast support. An alternative way is to purchase a special adapter.
- On TV, you need to activate the wireless synchronization technology - Miracast or WiDi. Practice shows that this option is enabled by default. On Samsung TVs, the feature in question will be called "Mirroring the screen".
- To connect the equipment via WiDi, you must first download the Intel Wirelles Display software to your computer. Find a team "Wireless Monitor". During the connection, a security check will be carried out, you need to enter the code that appears on the TV screen.
To use Miracast technology, open the Charms panel in Windows 8.1. Move the cursor to the lower right corner, after which it will appear on the screen. Select the "Devices" section, and then "Projector". Click on “Add Wireless Display”. If this command is unavailable, then your TV does not support Miracast technology.
On a local network, the screen is configured using special software. The user needs to download and configure the DLNA server. Free access abound quality software. For example, the program "Home Media Server". We will use it as an example.
When the software is installed on your computer, you need to make certain changes to the settings. The TV must be connected to the PC using a LAN cable. turn off the TV first. Instructions for setting up a local connection:
- Launch the software.
- Go to "Settings", and then select the section "Devices".
- Click on the button "Search".
- When the scan is completed, a list of available devices appears on the screen.
- Select a TV by confirming the connection to the media server.
- Reopen item "Settings", to choose "Media resources".
- Click on the button Addby specifying the folders of the hard drive to which TV access will be open.
- There is a folder at the bottom of the window "My computer", you can immediately select all the local drives of the hard drive.
- Now for viewing from the TV the entire file system of the PC will be available, click "OK"to start scanning.
- Open the media server by clicking on the button "Launch" in the main menu of the program.
The synchronization setup is complete. Now we analyze the features of playing content on a TV that is stored on a PC hard drive. Turn on the equipment, and then open the program on the computer Home Media Server. Start the multimedia server by pressing the key "Launch".
An Internet cable has already been connected to the TV through the LAN connector. Open the source list to select "LAN". The menu is opened by pressing the button on the remote control "Source" or "Input". Explorer starts using the remote control, switch between folders and play the necessary content.
Setting up the use of the TV as a computer monitor is far from the most difficult process. To achieve the result, you just need to follow the instructions described above. The choice of connection method is carried out in accordance with the functionality of the technology.