How to knit elastic with knitting needles
If you use a gum pattern when knitting products, then the fabric can turn out to be very elastic and light. Such knitting patterns are used when knitting the neck of the product, a scarf on the pipe or the bottom of sweaters, men's sweaters and women's. Among all the knitting needles with your own hands, in the collection you can find many different types of gum pattern.
Knitted independently elastic bands can differ not only in appearance, but also in the way of knitting. If you want the product to have a neat appearance, then it is worth using knitting needles, which are either 1.5 times larger in diameter or of exactly the same diameter. Of the most popular, you can list such methods of knitting patterns:
- simple 1x1, 2x2 and so on gum,
Eraser is a patent pattern, that is, with faces. and out. side looks the same. In addition to patent gum, there are also semi-patent ones that look almost the same on both sides, and fake ones that repeat the gum only from faces. side. Patent gum is performed in 2 ways: removed. p. and tied. from the bottom. R.
The semi-patent gum on the wrong side looks like a patent. This technique is used for products where the wrong side is used as the front side, for example, caps with lapels. The pattern is dense, and the yarn consumption is less than when knitting a patent gum. This type of gum is also performed in 2 ways: with removed and knit loops. The semi-patent r-ka with the removed item is knitted according to the scheme:
- 1st p. (persons): chrome., * 1 p. with nak., as izn. 1 person., Repeat. from *, completed .: 1 p. with nak. as out., chrome.
- 2nd p. (out.): chrome .. * p. and nak. tied up. vm persons., 1 out., rep. from *. finished .: p. and nak. tied up. vm persons., chrome.
Alternate the rows according to the pattern. Details on knitting a semi-patent elastic band with knitted loops from the underlying row are described in the diagram. You can use this technique for knitting sweaters, cardigans, pullovers, as well as for combining with any relief pattern.
Elastic band 1x1
A simple elastic band 1x1 fits the easiest. The essence of the technique is to first knit people first. n and then out. n, and so on until the end of the row. You need to dial even. number of p. and start with 1 persons., 1 out. All subsequent rows are knitted identically. You will get an elastic canvas with clearly defined stripes, which retains its shape perfectly and stretches well.
A double elastic band or a 2x2 elastic band fits in exactly the same way as a 1x1 elastic band, but instead of 1 point, 2 faces are made. and out. The number of loops on the knitting needles must be a multiple of 4. Rapport: 2 persons., 2 out., To the end of the row. It turns out a relief strip, where the pattern is more clearly visible. A double elastic band is used, mainly for sweaters and sweaters.
3x3 elastic band fits, like the previous options, alternating faces. and out. p., only here you need to alternate 3 p. The pattern of the pattern is as follows: rapport of 3 persons. item, 3 out. This pattern is the least dense, so they usually fit cardigans and cardigans.
A simple elastic band, although it fits easily, is still one of the most popular patterns with knitting needles. It is more practical than many other patterns and the products connected with it keep their shape and appearance longer. 1x1 elastic is often used as a finishing step, for example, for a cuff, to fix the product. Although it can be used as an independent pattern, for example, for a hat.
English gum is a two-sided pattern that looks like a simple gum, but more magnificent. This pattern is one of the most beloved among the craftswomen, because it fits easily, and the result is excellent. The canvas is dense and elastic, and looks identical from 2 sides. The main difference between English gum is the use of yarn, alternating with faces. and out. p. English elastic knitting needles - knitting pattern:
- 1st p .: * 1 persons., Yarn, 1 p. not tyaz., * 1 persons.,
- 2nd p. and all the aftermath. p.: yarn is made before each out. item, and out. with him. not knit. P. with a yarn count., As 1, and knitted. persons. behind before. art.
Knitting English elastic - the perfect pattern for knitting hats. The product is elastic, fits snugly to the head, does not blow. You can make a lapel, because the pattern is two-sided. Looks great on yarn of any thickness.
An unusual variety of English r-ki is a two-color r-ka. It is knitted by the alternation of threads in the front and back row, which allows you to create a canvas where each strip has its own color. This type of r-ki can be used for knitting socks or children's things in order to dilute the color a little.
A popular type of district, the main difference of which is a more embossed pattern, achieved by crossing people. This pattern looks great on snoods, mittens, sweaters and other products. There are several patterns of pattern execution:
- 1st p.: * 1 out., 2 cross. persons. (2nd not removed, knit for the back st-ku, knit. 1 person. And removed both p.) * To the end. R. repeat from * to * and finished. out. P.,
- 2nd p.: 1 persons., * 2 inv. cross (2nd izn. P. Knit before the slave., Then knit. 1st izn. P.), 1 persons., *.
Another scheme of the French district:
- 1st p.: 1 out., * 1 out., 2 cross. persons. (2nd item is not removed., Knit for the back of the station, then knit. 1 person., And sn. Both items), 1 out. * To the end. rapport from * to * and finished. out. P.,
- 2nd p.: 1 ITs., * 1 persons., 2 out. Crossing (2 nd p., knit before the slave, then knit. 1 nd p.), 1 persons. *, 1 persons.
This pattern is perfect for knitting with a vertical strip, then the pattern looks wavy. Another cool scheme of the French district:
Pattern repeat is 4 p. + 1 p. For symmetry
- 1st p.: * 2 persons., 2 out. *, 1 persons., Turn. slave.,
- 2nd p.: * 2 out., 2 persons. *, 1 out.
This technique allows you to create a volumetric pattern without losing the density of the fabric, which can be useful in knitting volumetric sweaters or sweaters.
A clear example of a French gum with knitting needles:
In the collection of gum patterns, every needlewoman should have Italian gum, because this is a very beautiful pattern, which, moreover, is dense, elastic and embossed. The Italian district is useful to those who love voluminous sweaters with a throat, cardigans, dresses. It will become an adornment of any product, but it has a rather high consumption of yarn, therefore it is not in such demand as other methods of knitting gum with knitting needles, but in vain. The formula of the pattern is the alternation of rows according to the scheme:
- 1st p.: * 2 out., 2 persons., * 2 out.,
- 2nd p.: * 2 persons., 2 out., * 2 persons.,
- 3rd r.: * 2 out., 2 persons. (bandages of persons. for the rear station of the 2nd item, then the 1st), * 2 out.,
- 4th p.: * 2 persons., 2 out. (knit. izn. 2nd item, then 2nd), 2 persons.,
- 5th p. As the 3rd.
Next, knit according to the pattern, repeating rapport from the 3rd r.
Be sure to save some more interesting patterns to your collection of knitting patterns for elastic bands that will definitely come in handy and will become an adornment of any knitted product.
Types of Gum
Knitting a simple elastic band perhaps they know everything, but it is from a simple point that it is worth starting. Nothing complicated here: alternate the front and back loops in a fine 1x1 elastic band or a pair of front and back loops in a 2x2 elastic band. In the subsequent rows, we knit over the front ones, over the purl back loops. You can play with the size - try gum 1x2, 1x3, 2x3. But these are still simple types.
Knitting english gum - this is a classic. Outwardly, this is one of the most beautiful types of gum. One of the conditions is an odd number of loops.
It fits in this way: in even rows the front, yarn, remove the loop without knitting. In odd rows in front of the wrong loop there is a crochet, and the wrong one is removed. The double crochet stitches are sewn together with the front stitch. Knitting patent gum and English is one and the same. English gum is sometimes called patent.
Knitting semi-English gum differs in even rows. It fits like this: wrong side, front (double crochet + removed loop) and so on. This view is slightly simpler than the classic English gum. By analogy with the previous paragraph, knitting semi-patent gum and semi-English are one and the same.
Double gum knitting - This is a very tricky option that perfectly holds its shape and base. The edge loops of the gum are common, but then it is stratified into two - internal and external. It fits like this: front, thread in front of the canvas, the next loop does not knit, purl, thread behind the canvas, the loop does not knit. This method is also called "Hollow gum knitting", because inside emptiness is formed.
False rubber similar to English, but simpler to use and consumes less yarn.
1 row: 3 front, wrong side.
2 row: 2 front (first behind the back wall, second behind the front), wrong side, front behind the front wall.
Polish gum relevant for those who knit a lot for kids, and also loves self-knitted scarves. Why? Because it is very light and soft elastic. It looks like an English version, but it fits differently. For it you need to dial the number of loops, a multiple of 4.
Odd row - This is a simple elastic 2x2, 2 front, 2 wrong.
Even row we knit like this: wrong side, 2 front, 2 wrong side, front.
Knitting french gum perfect for decorative items - this is one of the most beautiful types of elastic pattern. For it you need the number of loops, a multiple of 4, plus 2 edge.
Odd Rapport: 2 facial, 2 wrong.
Rapport of an even row: wrong side, 2 front, wrong side. Sometimes also called her "Swedish gum".
Knitting italian gum also suitable for elegant products - in appearance it is very similar to the French gum. But the knitting pattern is different.
1st row: 2 wrong, 2 facial.
2 row: 2 facial, 2 wrong.
3 row: 2 wrong side, 2 front - and the first loop is knitted first, and then the first.
4 row: 2 facial, 2 wrong - first the second, then the first.
American gum It is famous for the fact that it is very dense, windproof. Perfect for a hat, right? The number of loops is a multiple of three, plus hem.
First row: wrong side, 2 facial.
Second row: facial, double crochet, two facial, which extend into this double crochet. Sometimes you can hear the names Bulgarian or Scottish gum - that's all about her too.
Knitting baby gum also suitable for very warm clothes. For this type, the number of loops is a multiple of 4.
1st row: yarn, remove the loop, front.
2 row: we sew the wrong loops on the wrong ones, and the crochet loop - the front one. Beautiful ornament - very dense, two-layer, warm. Ideal for baby items.
Canadian gum - incredibly decorative and unusual. For it you need the number of loops, a multiple of 3, plus edge.
We knit 1 row: front, 2 wrong side.
2 row: 2 facial, wrong side.
3 row: front, front loop from the broach between the loops, 2 wrong.
4 row: 2 facial, 2 together (purl and loop from broach) purl.
Openwork elastic - A great option for smart things. There are quite a few types of them. We will consider one, some simple one. Here's one, for example: 2 wrong side, 2 front, double crochet, front, remove the loop, front, removed loop to put on the front, 2 wrong. All rows of this simple elastic are the same.
Gum go loose and thick. True, yarn consumption is a bit big, but it looks beautiful.
1st row: front, wrong side.
2 row: according to the drawing.
3 row: front of the loop of the previous row, wrong side.
Next, repeat the 3rd row. Knitting with a rubber band is suitable for winter clothes, this type of knitting is one of the most “warmed” ones.
So, we have studied quite a few types of gum. But to know exactly what they are suitable for, you need to try them all. This is not always convenient, so we have compiled a small guide on rubber bands.
- If your work requires knitting elastic gum - choose simple types.
- Round knitting gum will be needed for socks, mittens, hats. For this, a simple, English, double gum is suitable. The rubber band fits only on the front side.
- Double-sided elastic is needed if both sides of the product are equally important. Two-sided are simple, English, double, as well as some openwork gum.
A reliable way to close the gum
Since we are talking about gum, we will consider one more question: how to close the gum. Sometimes it happens that knitting is elastic, but the closing row nullifies all its elasticity. There is a way to maintain elasticity if you close the knitting in a special elastic way. Remove the edge, make a crochet (wrong side or front - depending on the loop). Then knit a loop according to the drawing, first throw a crochet on it, then a hem. One loop remains on the spoke. Again the yarn, we knit a loop, we throw a yarn and an outer loop on it. This way.
So, today we have done a great job: we studied knitting elastic with knitting needles in every possible way. Now you know what types of knitting gum exist, where you can apply them. We hope that now needlework will become even more interesting for you - after all, the whole variety of this simple and functional ornament is available to you.
Also on our blog you can learn about how to crochet gum.
How to knit a simple elastic band
How to knit a simple elastic band with knitting needles
A simple elastic band includes various combinations of the main varieties of loops - facial and wrong. The canvas stretches well and is elastic, thanks to this rubber band, which is made by one's own hands. This gum is usually used when they want the fabric to fit. For example - a turtleneck, or its individual parts: a collar, a bottom of a product, a cuff or a mouth.
Simple elastic bands are usually denoted as 1x2 or 2x2, here the first digit indicates the number of front loops, and the second is the wrong ones in the report. Therefore, you can make elastic with knitting needles from any combination of typed stitches. But do not forget to observe the proportions due to which the canvas remains elastic. Here are a few options for this pattern:
- elastic band 1x1. In the front rows there is such a sequence of loops: facial and wrong. All the front ones must be tied over the wrong ones, and the wrong ones over the front ones.
- elastic 2x2. The loops and their number should be a multiple of two, plus 2 edge. Two front and two purl knit in all the odd rows, but in the even, in order to follow the pattern, it is necessary to knit the purl over the front ones, as with 1x1 elastic.
- elastic 2x1. Divide the number of this elastic by three and add 2 loops to the edge:
- 1r. knit two face to the end of the row, then one wrong side.
- 2p fit into the report throughout the series: 1 wrong side, two front.
- 3 p. here knitting is repeated from the first row.
Before you start knitting a fabric with a simple elastic band yourself according to the scheme, you need to pay attention to the size of the fabric itself. For example, if the product is large, then a 4x4 elastic is suitable for it. also pay attention to the scheme of the main drawing, because there should be harmony in the canvas and it is necessary that everything is combined.
How to knit English gum
How to knit elastic with knitting needles
Representatives of the English pattern, consider it the most popular. In another way, this pattern is also called pearl. This English gum with your own hands, thanks to its soft texture and embossed appearance, can be used in hats, jumpers, scarves and other voluminous products. English rubber bands are not advised to knit cuffs and the edges of the product. Because this pattern makes the canvas soft and elastic. With the help of yarn loops and basic loops, you can make English gum. English gum 1x1 is done this way:
- type an odd number of loops and knit the first row according to the report like this: one yarn, one loop that was removed not knitted, then throw the thread for the work of the canvas and knit one front
- 2 p. yarn, one loop is removed not knitted, 2 loops knit one front.
- 3 p. 2 stitches knit one front, double crochet, throw one loop without knitting.
Unlike a simple canvas, closing the loops of English gum, it is necessary in a different way. If you want to see a smooth and beautiful edge, you must first make a preparatory series. To do this, you must do:
- knit the product according to the same pattern where the loop b n not knitted is thrown onto the right knitting needle. The double crochet from the previous row should be knitted with one front. All this must be done before the end of the row.
- then close the loops on the product, as you usually do.
The sequence of loops in the English gum 1x1, which will be knitted in a circle:
- 1p. front, yarn, loop does not knit
- 2p. crochet, loop is not knitted, wrong side
- 3 p. 2 loops together, not knitted loop
2x2 gum will also look great. Only for this gum, you need to knit the number of loops that are divided by 4, and add 2 hem to them:
How to knit elastic with knitting needles
- 1r. goes as for a regular gum with a sequence of 2 front and 2 wrong. The last 2 loops in a row must be made facial.
- 2 p. repeat: yarn, retake the next two loops on the right knitting needle without knitting, 2 front. Double yarn at the end of the row and take off the last 2 stitches.
- 3 p. from the previous row, knit together the yarn and loop, then one front, yarn and leave 2 loops not knitted. Knit the penultimate stitch at the end of the row with the crochet front, and the last loop goes front.
- 4 p. here everything goes according to the report: yarn, two loops loose, the next one is knitted with n front, then front. Finish the row with one double crochet and two loose.
- then the principle from the third row is repeated, and knitting goes to the right size.
How to knit a double elastic band with knitting needles
How to knit a double elastic band with knitting needles
Double elastic is usually used to make the canvas more dense. For example, when knitting socks (top), cuffs, scarves, etc., thanks to this elastic band, the product keeps its shape longer. Beginners in this business can just as well cope on their own with this knitting, as well as experienced craftswomen.
- the loops you type for the elastic must be even and divisible by 4, plus 2 more edge loops.
- the first row is made according to this scheme: the front knit behind the front wall, re-knit one loop without knitting, move the working thread in front of the fabric and knit to the end of the row.
- 2 p. one wrong side, remove one loop without knitting, transfer the working thread to the product.
- in the third and other rows, you need to repeat knitting from the first row.
Using the video below, you can see a more visual example and see the diagrams:
A hollow or double elastic band for scarves or belts is best done in circular knitting, use special knitting needles. But then all the rows must be done according to one scheme: the front eyelet, one not knitted, re-knitted.
How to knit a Polish gum with knitting needles
Polish gum pattern
If you want to make a scarf-collar or snood, children's things, then Polish gum will come to your aid. It has a more airy and loose structure. There are two ways to knit Polish gum:
- The number of loops that you knit for the elastic should be divided into four and add two more hem. Odd loops should be knitted like this: two front loops, two wrong ones. In even rows it is necessary to do: one wrong side and repeat: 2 front and 2 wrong sides. The last loop of the row goes front.
- For the second method of knitting, you need to take also loops, the number of which is divided by 4 and add two edge ones to them. The sequence for all the front rows: one front, one loop knitted from the wrong, 2 front. The wrong rows are knitted: one wrong loop and three facial ones.
In the next video you can see how the Polish gum fits:
How to knit french elastic
For French gum, the number of loops should be divided by 4, then you need to add 2 loops for the hem. The elastic should be knitted in such an alternation of the main loops:
- 1r. alternate two wrong side and two front side.
- 2 p. repeat the sequence: one wrong side, two face behind the back wall and one wrong side.
- subsequent rows must be knitted from the first.
There is another way in which you can create this gum:
- the number of dialed loops should be divided by 3 and add three more loops for symmetry and edge loops.
- in all the odd rows there is a sequence: one wrong side, then remove one loop without knitting, then knit the next loop behind the back wall, return the removed loop to the knitting needle and knit the front loop over the back wall. The last loop of the row must be made wrong.
- even rows are done as follows: 1 front sequence goes, retake the non-knitted loop, then the wrong one, return the non-knitted loop to the left knitting needle and make it the wrong one. Finish the front row.
Since there are a lot of models themselves, it is necessary to look at such nuances before choosing the right gum:
- the main pattern of the canvas and its appearance should correspond to the density and pattern of the selected gum
- In circular knitting, not all types of elastic bands are used. After all, some have a double-sided pattern. These include the English and French 2x2 gum.