Having spent a decent amount on a high-quality ski jacket or a tracking suit, you will probably want to learn how to wash membrane clothes so that its unique properties please you as long as possible. How easy is it to wreck a membrane? Does she really need special delicate care? How to make sure that its water-repellent properties do not weaken over time? We will answer all these questions in order.
Do not worry about washing
In fact, things from the membrane of a new generation are not as easy to spoil as you might think. Yes, they cannot be called unkillable, but your suit, jacket or trousers can easily survive loading into a washing machine or hand washing. But under certain conditions.
For a long time it was believed that the powder capsules clog the micropores of the membrane, depriving it of one of the most important qualities: sweat conductivity to the outside. Yes, water-repellent properties are not violated, but membrane things are appreciated for the ability to "breathe", and it would be very disappointing to start sweating in an expensive membrane suit. That is why it is recommended to use liquid detergents, which certainly will not remain in micropores.
Also, the more natural and softer the product, the better. Of course, you can use special detergents for membrane things, but your ski suit can be washed off just as well with any non-aggressive liquid detergent: from capsules for washing machines of popular powder grades to ordinary liquid soap. The main thing is that the product should be free of chlorine and air conditioning, and also not intended to remove stains.
If you are annoyed by the dirty stain that you got at the very beginning of the season, it is not necessary to wash the thing because of it. Simply remove dried dirt with a dry cloth or brush! Yes, the quality of cleaning will be lower, but it will not be necessary to carry out long-term washing, drying, ironing and processing according to all the canons.
Washer or hand wash?
By and large, both methods are suitable for washing membrane suits or jackets, and even recommendations on them are the same. So you can resort to any of them if you follow the basic rules for washing.
- Do not wash clothes after each trip to the ski slope: you are tormented to dry and treat them each time with impregnation. Instead, wash them only once after the season. Membrane tissue has the ability to absorb odors, and although complaints about the smell of sweat are extremely rare, in this case you can wash the item additionally in the middle of the season, but not more often.
- The membrane does not tolerate high temperatures, so washing in hot water is contraindicated. The water temperature should not exceed 40 ° C, but it is better to refer to the instructions for a more detailed recommendation from the manufacturer. Maybe it’s your ski jacket or suit that can be washed only at temperatures up to 30 ° C, and even in manual mode. Do not forget the importance of the information on the tag!
- Do not wash membrane things together with other things, especially if there is a lot of dirt on them, because the membrane absorbs small particles of dust and other impurities that can no longer be taken out of the deep layers of the fabric “sandwich”. If she herself is very dirty? We recommend that you first brush off and wipe off the maximum dirt with a dry cloth or brush.
- Membrane clothing will not be damaged by additional rinsing, especially if you still washed it with granular powder. This applies to washing in the washing machine, and washing by hand.
- You can squeeze the membrane only at low speeds, and even better, just let the water drain without unnecessary mechanical stress.
And do not forget to fasten all zippers and fasteners before you start washing!
If you choose a hand wash, then it should pass without being washed and wrung out with twisting, otherwise the hydrophobic impregnation will be very quickly wiped off, and other materials used in addition to the membrane will become unusable.
What about drying, ironing and care?
If you do not forget that the membrane does not like high temperatures, then when drying and ironing you definitely will not ruin the thing. You will be surprised, but such things can be dried even in a typewriter or dryer in the most gentle mode. If this option does not suit you, then dry as usual.
- When water drains, spread clothes on a horizontal dryer and let things dry at room temperature.
- Or hang the item on a vertical dryer and wait for it to dry even at room temperature.
But using a heater or battery is not worth it: they generate too much heat, which in the end can be fatal to the material.
Ironing with proper drying is not necessary, but if you decide to iron, then only through a layer of fairly thick cotton. For example, through a towel.
Well, do not forget to restore the hydrophobic coating with the help of special impregnations: this is not necessary, and the membrane will not pass water anyway, but if you want the water to flow effectively from the jacket with drops, and not remain on it, then you will have to soak it all get one.
Caring for membrane clothes is not so complicated and observing simple recommendations for washing, drying and ironing such things, you can enjoy the cleanliness of suits and jackets without fear of spoiling them.
How to wash a membrane jacket?
In order for a thing to last as long as possible, it must be properly looked after. There are several washing methods.
You can wash the jacket with your hands, or you can in the washing machine. But in that and in another case, you can use the same detergents. Consider the most effective.
The best means for washing a jacket with a membrane are:
- DOMAL Sport Fein Fashion is a balm that preserves the appearance and properties of clothes even with frequent washing.
- Denkmit Fresh Sensation Detergent is a liquid gel. However, they should not be abused, as frequent use of this product can damage the tissue.
- The gel-like Nikwax Tech Wash will help to remove all SMS residues, as well as dirt. This gel not only copes with washing clothes, but also restores hydrophobic protection.
- Perwoll Sport Active Detergent can be used both for sports shoes and clothing with a protective diaphragm.
- Textile Wash Plus Woly is a gentle cleanser made for hand and machine washing clothes with a membrane. When using Textile Wash Plus Woly, the clothes do not lose wind and water resistance.
- When removing stains, you can use laundry soap, because special products can not always cope with them, as they are designed for delicate washing. If the stain is too much for them, then gently rub the area with soap and then rinse.
Important! In order not to be mistaken with the choice of washing gel, consult a consultant for a sportswear store.
One of the main properties of things with a membrane is water resistance. To preserve this useful property, do not neglect special tools:
- Vapor permeability is a property that allows clothes to “breathe”. When choosing a jacket, be guided by the parameters 3000-4600mm. If you want better protection against moisture, we advise you to look at microporous materials. They can withstand up to 15 thousand mm of water.
- One of the main protective factors of things with a membrane is the Durable Water Reppelence (DWR) coating. It is located on the outside of the garment and prevents moisture from entering. Unfortunately, Durable Water Reppelence (DWR) can deteriorate over time, but it is quite possible to return the original appearance to the coating layer.
- SALAMANDER, WOLW or NIKWAX are the best impregnation products that you can buy in specialized stores. Clothing manufacturers have provided a spray head on the container to facilitate the use of the impregnating compound. You can also use a sponge for these purposes.
If you want to keep the look and all the useful qualities of your clothes as long as possible, it is recommended to wash clothes with a membrane on a regular basis.
To stay dry even with heavy rainfall, you can restore the DWR coating using special tools.
Most of us love hiking in the bosom of nature. They like to go mushrooming, fishing, or just relaxing, somewhere on a river or lake. And sometimes it’s sometimes quite unpleasant when, you’re satisfied, you go with a full basket of mushrooms, and suddenly, a summer thunderstorm draws in the sky, and from above, streams of water fall, turning you into a “wet chicken”. All clothes get wet through. And well, if right after the shower, a hot sun comes out that quickly dries your clothes. And if the rain is lingering? It’s not long to get sick. But, as they say, there would be a problem, and there is always a way out. So in this case, the solution is simple - you need to soak your camping clothes with a special water-repellent solution. This will be discussed further.
The manufacture of a water-repellent composition for camping clothing
Be dry even in the rain - a rule that every tourist should adhere to. And in order to follow it, you need to take care in advance - soak your camping clothes with a special water-repellent composition. Let’s tell you what. Just a warning, it is necessary to work with it, in a well-ventilated area and away from fire!
The basis of the water-repellent composition is solvent 646 or 647. Pour into it a polymer film cut into pieces and add some plasticizer - it will give the future coating elasticity. Naturally, all additives must be ground to dissolve better and faster.
Close the resulting mixture tightly and leave it alone until completely dissolved. Then add a new batch of polymer, wait until it dissolves. Then one more - and so on until a saturated solution is formed in which a precipitate appears.
Carefully drain the precipitate into another container, and dilute the remaining solution with a solvent to the consistency of sunflower oil, or even better so that you can use a spray bottle.
Cover camp clothing on both sides. In this case, of course, the fabric should be stretched. The applied layer dries for about five minutes. Then the operation is repeated.
Do not be alarmed if the color of the fabric becomes a little whitish. Alas, you have to sacrifice color for the sake of a new quality - waterproof. And she, we note, in a hike will be useful not only for marching clothes, but also for a backpack, an awning, a cover for a guitar, a tarpaulin deck for a kayak ...
In general, with this home-made water-repellent solution, you can soak everything that you would like to protect from rain.
How to wash and restore waterproof properties to jackets and pants
For jackets: Jackets for washing need special care. The following steps will help you become better acquainted with the rules for caring for a waterproof jacket:
- Check the pockets and remove all contents from them. Now close all the zippers on your jacket and fasten all the Velcro. This is necessary so that nothing gets inside and does not come out when washing.
- Using a dry nail brush with soft bristles or using a toothbrush, remove dirt, grease or any other easily removable stains from the jacket. To make the process easier, use a minimal amount of stain remover.
- Now pour a small amount of waterproof solution, such as Granger’s and Nikwax, into the washing machine, use only cold water when washing. These fluids help maintain the waterproof properties of the jacket and, without harming the fabric, gently remove dirt, oil and stains. These impregnations will help not only restore the hydrophobic properties of the clothes, but also the jacket will look like new. For stubborn grease stains and dirt stains, try using non-biological detergents. These products do not contain active components of fabric softeners or conditioners, although if there are no contraindications to their use in the product care leaflet, you can safely use them.
- Do not wash your jacket for a long time. Wash the product at a temperature of 30 degrees Celsius, watch that the jacket does not begin to bubble inside the washing machine.
- When the jacket is washed, let it dry in a washing machine at low temperature. Duration: 20 minutes or as indicated on the care label to restore the waterproof properties of the product. Do not tumble a thing unless indicated on the product care label.
- Now hang the jacket to dry on a hanger, and let it dry in the shade outdoors.
- If you prefer to wash by hand, wash the item in lukewarm water with a small amount of liquid cleaner or special cleaners. Avoid using detergents or washing soaps that are based on fabric softeners because they affect the waterproof layer of the jacket. After washing, rinse the jacket again under running water to get rid of any detergents that may remain on the fabric after washing. Also, do not twist or wring the jacket if the jacket is filled with feathers. The duration of this step is approximately 15 minutes.
- To prevent water from draining from the jacket, just simply roll the jacket or shake it after washing. Now hang it to dry in the shade outdoors.