Every modern person wants to drive a vehicle without much effort. After all, it gives many advantages: independence from the schedule of public transport, at any time you can leave the city or on business. It is especially convenient for young families with children to have their own car in order to easily move around the city.
But on the way to driving, you need to undergo training in a driving school and successfully pass on the right. To do this, you should choose an educational institution, determine the category or subcategories of the vehicle, and allocate time for training. Do not forget about the importance of the current legislation, which lists all the main points related to the admission to driving and the procedure for processing documents. It must be remembered that the successful passing of the exam in the traffic police depends only on you and your efforts!
If a person decided to drive soon, he needs to pass on the right to the traffic police. In this institution, with the help of an exam, they determine the level of theoretical knowledge and practical driving skills. Successful passing the exam in the traffic police gives the right to drive a particular vehicle.
Bit of theory
Before choosing a driving school, you need to carefully read the current legislation. Read about the current rules for passing the driving test, the number of possible attempts. But the most important thing is to find out what threatens the purchase of a driver’s license. Because many Russians do not want to take training, finding an easier way to get an important document.
Legislation: recent changes
Since 2017, the rules for the examination in the traffic police and the procedure for obtaining a driver's license have been updated. The rules are fixed in the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 1097 dated 10.24.2014 (as amended on March 23, 2017 No. 326) “On admission to driving” and in the document “Rules for examinations for the right to drive vehicles and issue driver's licenses”.
The main provisions of this decision:
- now they issue a driver’s license not only in the traffic police divisions, but also in the MFC (paragraph 2),
- those who have not reached the age of 18 do not need the consent of all legal representatives, but only one of them (paragraph 18),
- a notice of refusal to issue rights is now transmitted not directly to the applicant, but to multifunction centers, where the reasons for such a decision are indicated (paragraph 22),
- if the driver wants to exchange his rights for new ones before their expiration, then according to section 3 p. 26 he can do this without passing an exam.
And most importantly, the latest change, which is relevant in March 2019, is the need to present a medical certificate to update a driver’s license. But this does not apply to those who applied for a new document in case of theft of the previous one, at the expiration of their validity period, and if they wish to redo the rights until the end of their validity period. These driver's licenses are valid for 10 years.
Vehicle categories and subcategories
Until 2013, in the Russian Federation there were 5 categories of vehicles. But since 2014 (which is relevant for March 2019), their number has increased. There were restrictions on the weight of the vehicle and the power of the power plant.
The decoding of all categories and subcategories of vehicles is as follows.
- Category A. Grants the right to ride a motorcycle with a side trailer. Transport can consist of 2, 3 or 4 wheels. The total weight cannot exceed 400 kg (read about how to get a driver's license for a motorcycle).
- Category A1. It concerns scooters, the engine capacity of which cannot exceed 125 cc.
- Category B. Thanks to this driver’s license, you can drive a passenger car, the weight of which is limited to 3.5 tons. In the cabin, you can carry more than 8 passengers at a time.
- Category B1. Required to control a quad or tricycle.
- Category BE. Allows you to drive cars with a trailer, the weight of which cannot exceed 750 kg.
- Category C. Provides the right to drive trucks weighing up to 3.5 tons.
- CE category. A trailer can be attached to the truck if its weight does not exceed 3500 kg.
- Category C1. A trailer can be attached to the truck if its weight is less than 750 kg. Drivers with category D do not have this right.
- Category C1E. It makes it possible to drive trucks with trailers with a total weight of up to 12 tons.
- Category D. This category includes buses. The driver has the right to carry more than 8 passengers. It is permitted to attach a trailer to the bus.
- Category DE. The trailer may be mounted, but its weight may not exceed 3.5 tons.
- Category D1. Gives the right to carry up to 16 people. You can also attach a trailer to the machine.
- Category D1E. It is allowed to drive a bus with a trailer, the weight of which may exceed 750 kg. The total mass of transport may not exceed 12 tons.
- Category M. Allows you to control the ATV and moped. Available to drivers from 16 years.
- Categories Tm and Tb. Only needed by trolleybus and tram drivers.
Driving school: 13 selection criteria
The level of knowledge of the potential driver and his sensations when driving in the future depends on the choice of a driving school. Therefore, relying solely on the criteria of "proximity to home" and "low cost of training" is a bad decision.
A search for a driving school is carried out using 3 sources: advertising, an online request, and the experience of acquaintances. Having compiled a sample list of options, you should check the presence of a driving school among those that have passed accreditation in the traffic police. To do this, go to the traffic police website and enter the necessary information.
For more information on how to choose a driving school so as not to disappoint subsequently, read the article by our expert.
In addition, we advise you to read another interesting article on the question of how to become a driving instructor.
13 criteria for choosing a driving school.
- The availability of a license should be of primary interest. Remember, without a license, a driving school does not have the right to function. The rules of instruction should be specifically spelled out in it.
- Rating position in the general list of driving schools. It is advisable that the selected educational institution be at least 10 positions.
- The lifetime of the institution. The optimal value of the indicator is at least 5 years.
- Schedule. You need to find out what time classes are held. This is especially important for people who work in the office on a specific schedule.
- Hours of theoretical training. Driving schools, where they promise to teach you how to drive professionally after 5 lessons, are a hoax. The optimal number of hours of theory in the program is 30 - 40.
- The number of practical exercises. In comparison with lectures, they can be less than 2 times.
- The presence of branches. In combination with other criteria, the subparagraph "finding a driving school near the house" makes sense.
- Cost of education. The minimum value is 20 thousand rubles. The average cost in the market is 27 thousand rubles.
- Methods of payment for training. Make sure you need to pay the full amount or there is the possibility of making several contributions. Typically, a “50% / 50%” system operates.
- The presence of additional costs. In some driving schools, the payment of fuels and lubricants is not included in the cost of classes. To avoid embarrassing situations, you need to ask about this until the moment of making contact.
- Choosing a car and an instructor. Good driving schools feature upscale car models that students can choose from. The same goes for the instructor.
- The number of people in the group. The approach to learning may depend on this. If there are more than 10 students, then, most likely, an individual approach will be absent.
- Average% of successful exams the first time. Great if the rate is above 60%.
Package of documents for passing the exam in the traffic police
To successfully pass on the right immediately, in addition to theoretical knowledge and practical driving skills, you need to collect a certain package of documents. Their list is as follows:
|№||Document's name||Requirements for it|
|1||Passport or other identification document (military ID, passport)||Should not be expired. This applies to drivers who, at the time of passing the exams, have reached the age of 20 or 45. A driver’s license is issued to them only after updating the document.|
|2||Registration document with registration||It indicates that a person lives in the Russian Federation.|
|3||Statement||There is no single form, but there is a recommendation on the traffic police website.|
|4||Medical certificate 083 / y-89||Shelf life of the medical certificate is 2 years. The document can be issued by a medical institution with state certification.|
|5||Successful Driving Certificate||This document is issued by a driving school upon successful passing of an examination on knowledge of traffic rules.|
|6||State Duty Receipt||To get a driver license from plastic, you need to pay 2,000 rubles. Payment is carried out at the bank or directly at the traffic police department.|
|7||Previous Driving License||Provided if the driver already has a driver’s license of another category.|
Stage One - Theory
This testing is done at the computer. A special program is used that simplifies the examination. One ticket consists of 20 questions. The task of the future driver is to give correct answers to at least 18 of them. That is, he is given the right to make 1 or 2 mistakes.
If there were more than 2 errors, the exam automatically terminates. The student is not allowed to the practical part of testing.
3 errors in preparation for the theoretical part
Most students in driving schools believe that theory is not the point. They think that attending only practical classes will give them the opportunity to become full-fledged drivers. But this is not so.
Another mistake is to study only those questions that will be on the exam. Such people do not think about the meaning of the question. Their task is to learn a variant of the answer and solve tickets for traffic rules for a long time in order to learn everything. But since questions about 1800, then keep all the answers in memory will be almost impossible.
The third mistake is an irregular visit to a driving school. This makes it impossible to obtain full knowledge. A person will know only certain points, because of which he risks in the future to get into an embarrassing situation.
The second stage - exercises at the training ground (site)
Only those who have successfully passed the theoretical part are allowed to it. Then they need to drive along the inner area of the driving school.
5 basic maneuvers that a student must successfully do:
- Stop the vehicle on the rise, and then move forward. A rollback is considered an error.
- "The snake." Initially, a trajectory of movement is created using colored cones. The task is to drive along the line without hitting a single figure. The most common mistake is a stalled engine.
- U-turn in a confined space. This exercise is needed to verify driver coordination.
- Parallel parking. The student needs to park the car so that it is parallel to other modes of transport on the site. This is a typical situation in parking lots near shopping centers, hospitals, and parking lots.
- Riding in reverse. The most important maneuver that every driver should be able to do (read about how to properly reverse a box into a box).
The third stage - driving in the city
It can only be passed by those who successfully pass the theory and exercises on the site, because This is the most critical part of the exam. It is important that when passing this part of the test the student is presented with a previously familiar vehicle. This will help to avoid many elementary errors.
The route is chosen by the inspector. Usually it is the city center with many traffic lights, intersections, bus stops, road signs, pedestrian crossings and other details.
During the ride, the instructor makes notes with penalty points. There are three categories: for minor errors - 1 point, for medium - 3 points, for gross - 5 points. The exam is considered not passed if the applicant gains a total of 5 points or more.
You can retake driving in the city only a week after the first attempt. Its passage must be dealt with in 3 months, as after this period, assessments for theory and maneuvers on the site are canceled.
9 major mistakes in passing the practical part of the exam
The first is intense excitement and haste. You need to calm down and relax in advance. Set up positively and believe in yourself.
The remaining 8 errors are as follows.
- Bad start. It occurs due to inattention at the start. It is necessary to immediately determine what mode the gear lever is in and then start.
- Untimely gear shifting. In some cases, it is too early, in others it is too late.
- Departure to the oncoming lane. After this error, the exam is immediately stopped.
- Damage to the wheels or bumper during parking. For this, you can even incur liability if this was stated in the contract.
- Turned off turn signal. The mistake is often found among those who often missed practical exercises.
- Parking in prohibited areas. Usually these are places for the disabled, bus stops, roadsides.
- Inattention to road signs. Before that, you need to carefully repeat the information on road signs.
- Erroneous rearrangement between the bands. This can cause a dangerous situation on the road.
13 tips for successfully passing an exam on the right
Do not bring many things with you. A mobile phone and a wallet are enough, which are better placed in a waist bag.
Go get tested first. This will reduce the risk of moving the exam to another time.
Before starting, adjust the seat. Check if the legs reach the pedals, whether the back is comfortable, whether the body is too close to the steering wheel, etc.
The remaining 10 tips are as follows.
- Fasten your seat belt before riding.
- Remember to turn on the dipped beam.
- Before leaving, remove the car from the parking brake.
- We look around, be sure to turn on the left turn signal and move off. Be sure to look in the front and rear view mirrors.
- Drive in the right lane and do not drive into the oncoming lane.
- Watch the speedometer yourself. Especially if there was a sign on the road limiting the speed of movement.
- Learn the rules for turning, turning and parking.
- If a minibus rides ahead, it must be overtaken.
- In the case when due to the situation on the road I had to get stuck in traffic, touch the parking brake. The brake does not need to be held.
- After hearing a request to stop, choose the right place for this. Be sure to turn on the desired indicator, if necessary, give way, turn off the indicator, raise the handbrake.
If everything goes well, the inspector will issue a special document confirming the successful completion of the test, and will ask you to sign.
To pass on the right, you do not need large expenses. It is enough to pay a state duty, pay for training in advance and, if necessary, cover the cost of gasoline.
On average, the cost of training is 30 - 45 thousand rubles. It directly depends on the driving school and the selected service package.
The most expensive courses include:
- 50 and more hours of practice,
- a complete set of necessary textbooks,
- internal testing
- full package of documents,
- course of theory without restrictions on the number of classes
The most expensive are service packages, where a car with an automatic transmission is used in the learning process. A little cheaper will cost a full course on mechanics.
Tips to help you pass the exams in the traffic police the first time.
You can’t pass exams at the traffic police for a long time to get a driver’s license? Are you too nervous and worried about exams? Our tips will help you gain confidence in your abilities, and our recommendations will allow you to pass the SDA exams and driving in the traffic police the first time.
For many of us, the most difficult thing to do when passing exams in the traffic police was a theoretical classification exam. The thing is that at the time of passing the theory of traffic rules, each candidate for driver is given 20 minutes. In total, two mistakes can be made. In the case of the third error, the theoretical exam will be considered not passed and then retake. Any beginner who graduated from a driving school and came to exams at the traffic police is very nervous during the exam, because he fears that he will not have enough time and that he will be mistaken more than twice.
Therefore, each of us is nervous in advance long before examinations in the traffic police. To cope with your excitement is very difficult. Therefore, we, together with a driving instructor, whose experience is more than 15 years, have developed our instructions and simple tips that will help you cope with the excitement on the eve of the exams at the traffic police, which will allow you to pass all the tests the first time.
Our advice must be followed from the first days when you started your training at a driving school. Then, having completed the training course, you will be calmer, which will help you pass the SDA exam and driving in the traffic police without undue labor.
Plan your time
We advise you to complete a full training at a driving school. Do not rush things. Better study the advanced course at a driving school. No need to force events. Remember that many driving skills develop as a result of experience. Therefore, the more hours you pay a driving instructor, the better. But naturally within reason, because too many driving lessons will fly you into a huge amount.
Talk to the car instructor, agreeing with him to let you know when you are ready to pass the exam at the traffic police. Many instructors try to spend as many lessons with their student as possible in order to earn as much money as possible. But keep in mind that saving on driving lessons is also not worth it, as insufficient hours of driving can lead to an exam failure. Each of us learns differently. Someone will need 5-7 driving lessons. Someone might not have enough 40 lessons.
Therefore, it is important to find a common language with the auto-instructor, from which you will learn that you are able to pass the exam in the traffic police. But remember, if you successfully pass the exams at the traffic police, you should still practice constantly to improve your driving skill.
If you decide to get a driver’s license, you should be prepared for significant expenses. You must compare all of your possible costs associated with studying at a driving school and passing exams at the traffic police. If you do not have enough financial resources for the entire period of study, then we do not advise you to start training at a driving school.
Better to save the necessary amount or take a loan. Indeed, in the event of a lack of funds, you will save during the training process, which will affect the number of paid driving hours. If you think that the basic number of driving hours that are included in the standard tuition at a driving school is enough for you, then keep in mind that in 90 percent of cases, students do not have enough of these hours that are included in the base tuition.
In any case, you will have to pay extra for driving lessons. But if you don’t have enough money to pay a car instructor, then you will probably be taking long breaks between driving, which does not contribute to the rapid acquisition of driving experience.
We advise you to lay 35-40 percent more money on the entire learning process than the cost of the basic course.
If you have the opportunity to regularly attend lessons at a driving school, then do not miss classes in any case. Also remember that for a normal consolidation of driving experience, you must at least drive a car 2 hours a week.
This will help you to successfully progress in the ability to drive a car. Try to study with one instructor, as each teacher has his own teaching methodology, which may not fit into the teaching methods of driving another car instructor. The more you learn to drive with one instructor, the more you will begin to trust each other. This is very important, because in the absence of a trusting relationship between the student and teacher, it can lead to the opposite effect of the quality of education.
Record your progress
Keep yourself motivated by celebrating and recording all your successes and accomplishments. Get a kind of training diary where to write down your progress. You can also record your temporary failures there in order to set specific goals for yourself to achieve. Some car instructors draw up curricula that each student gradually fulfills. If there is no such plan, you can do it yourself by indicating in it all the stages of training (starting the engine, starting a run, changing gears, etc., etc.).
This curriculum will help you look at the learning process with a real look, realizing your achievements and failures.
After you have passed a certain number of hours of driving training, after which you felt that you can do without an instructor, we advise you to practice on a special site yourself, taking with you a relative or acquaintance. If your friends or relatives have a car, then you can use it, and you will not need to give extra money to an auto-instructor to consolidate your skill. Your task is to ride as much as possible to gain experience. Remember, the more you drive, the more confidence you will have.
Be focused in between classes
In those days when you are free from theoretical and practical training in a driving school, we advise you to practice on the Internet. For example, on our website, in the SDA Exam section online, you can be tested for knowledge of traffic rules. This section presents the original SDA tickets that will be offered to you by the traffic police.
Even if you haven’t passed all the traffic rules at a driving school at the moment, you can still practice passing tickets every day, paying attention to the comments on tickets that explain why you need to answer a particular question in a certain way. Also on our website you can study the full course of all traffic rules. In practice, every day you increase the chance to pass exams in the traffic police on the first try. Even if the process of cramming is very difficult for you, then answering the SDA online tickets every day, you will perforce remember the correct answers.
Having learned the rules of the road, you will understand what can happen on the road and correctly read the various situations that may occur every day on your way.
Take the test online on the eve of the exam in the traffic police
On the eve of passing the theoretical exam in the bodies of the State traffic inspectorate, go through online testing of traffic rules to be confident in your abilities. If you successfully pass tickets for a long time online, then you will almost certainly not have problems with passing exams at the traffic police. But even if you think that you know all the answers to all the questions, we still recommend that you pass online testing on the eve of the exams to be 100% sure.
Practice on a flyover and on site
Find out from the instructor all the necessary actions that you will have to go to the traffic police on the site. Practice these actions with him until automatic. If you didn’t pay for a large amount of driving, we advise you to pay extra for them in order to work out the actions that you will do in the traffic police (garage, overpass, etc.) to perfection. If you do not have extra money for additional driving lessons, then you can independently fix your skills on a specialized site in the car of your friends or relatives.
On the eve of a practical exam in Gai, you should go to bed early to get enough sleep and be in good shape. We advise you to strengthen your skills on the eve by repeating all the actions that you will need to do on the site in Gai.
The next day, when you sit behind the wheel of an examination machine, before you start, mentally repeat all the actions that will need to be done. This will allow you to more confidently pass the practical exam.
Each time you feel tension, feel that you have lost peace of mind, or made a mistake in the exam, take a few deep breaths. Try to control yourself. Some mistakes are not the end. Such self-control will preserve your composure. Remember that if you are nervous, then almost certainly your actions will not be ideal.
If you often make mistakes during training with an instructor, which infuriates you, then try to pull yourself together or take a break in training, because in this state the learning process will not be effective. If your instructor asks you to perform some action, but you are nervous and do not understand what is required of you, then try to calm down and ask the instructor to repeat what is required of you.
Learn, study and study.
Once you have successfully passed the exams and received a driver’s license, do not stop your driving training. We advise you to contact a car instructor who specializes in teaching non-beginners (training is not from scratch). As a rule, such teachers specialize in training drivers who have already obtained a license but have little driving practice.
Such lessons will teach you more extreme driving and allow you to independently learn to read various situations on the road. Often, many newcomers who are just starting to drive on the road, due to a lack of driving experience, are afraid to drive a car. Due to uncertainty, newcomers often make a large number of errors, which sometimes lead to accidents.
You must, after obtaining the rights, go through the training process for traveling in the dark, in any bad weather conditions and must learn how to drive on highways. Unfortunately, in the process of training in a driving school, you will not receive such skills at no extra cost. Therefore, you are urgently required to undergo additional driving training in real conditions on the road.
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that after driving about 6000-8000 kilometers, you may have a false sense of confidence. Be careful. A similar feeling arises for all beginners who often start to drive a car. At this moment, soberly assess your skills and really realize that experience is still not enough to be overly self-confident.
Try not to exceed the set speed. It is during this period that newcomers get into terrible accidents. The reason is not compliance with traffic rules. Also, often newcomers who feel false self-confidence cannot cope with an unforeseen situation on the road, which often leads to bad consequences. The reason for the lack of the necessary driving experience.
In particular, we advise you to hire a car instructor at the very beginning of the winter period (when the first snow fell and sleet on the road) so that he will teach you how to operate the car in winter.