Often, vegetable growers are faced with a problem such as the appearance of a spider mite on tomatoes. People first learned about this arachnid in the 19th century. Then they gave it a name - Tetranychus urticae. Translated from the Latin language - an ordinary spider mite. It feeds on the arthropod sap of plants. One of the favorite fruits is tomato. Therefore, a spider mite on tomatoes is found quite often, including in greenhouses. If there are no tomatoes, the tick moves to peppers, eggplant, cucumbers and other vegetables.
An infected plant may die. This is due to the fact that rapidly multiplying parasites bite the leaves, they turn yellow, small dots appear on them, which leads to the drying of the green mass. Due to a violation of the photosynthesis process, tomatoes cease to develop.
Where does the spider mite on tomatoes come from
The size of the arthropod is scanty, it barely reaches 0.2-1 mm. To see it with the naked eye is unrealistic. If you carefully look at the photo of the spider mite, enlarged many times, you can see its oral apparatus, with the help of which it pierces the plates of plants and sucks the juice.
The tick selects fallen leaves as its habitat or hides in the remains of last year's crop. In the cold season, sheltered under foliage, stones, in sheltered soil. With the onset of spring begins to multiply actively.
On tomatoes in a greenhouse and open ground, a tick appears for such reasons:
- planting new seedlings or tomato seeds occurs on the infected site,
- sick tomato seedlings,
- wildflowers infected with the parasite grow nearby.
A spider mite on tomato seedlings appears easily. But it is sometimes difficult to destroy it. Particularly favorable conditions for reproduction are created in greenhouses.
Signs of defeat
Since it will not work to see parasites, it can be understood that tomatoes are infected by the following signs:
- the presence of white small dots on the leaves at the site of the procus
- the lower leaves curl upwards, subsequently fall off,
- on the back there are tiny lumps of gray, reminiscent of dust,
- the appearance of a web that envelops stems, leaves, and even fruits.
The web becomes noticeable only with severe damage to the plant.
High humidity and hot weather are ideal conditions for the reproduction of a spider mite. Therefore, the spider mite on tomato seedlings in the greenhouse is more common than on open ground.
Spider mite control measures
To combat these parasites, you can use different methods:
- Special agricultural techniques. They consist in weeding weeds in the beds, removing damaged shoots and leaves manually with their mandatory removal from the site.
- Ready-made chemicals that are commercially available.
- Folk remedies.
You can fight with a spider mite on tomatoes with the help of insectoacaricides and acaricides. The best effectiveness was shown by such drugs:
- Farmayod. A liquid substance that contains iodine. It is used as a disinfectant, antifungal agent for treating plants, greenhouses, soil from spider mites. For spraying tomatoes, a solution is taken, prepared from 10 liters of water and 5 ml Farmayoda. Cost - 234-856 rubles. depending on the volume.
- Actellik. A potent broad-spectrum agent. They are plentifully sprayed with tomatoes. This must be done very carefully so that the product does not fall onto the soil. Observe the safety requirements. In 1-2 liters of water, 2 ml of the drug is dissolved. This amount is enough to process a plot of 7 acres. The price of the drug (50 ml) is 420 rubles.
- Fitoverm. This is a wide spectrum biological insectoacaricide. It can be used in greenhouses and on open ground. Valid for 20 days. To prepare the solution, you need to dissolve 1 ml of the drug in a bucket of water and spray the tomatoes with the resulting composition. Cost - 14-42 rubles.
Spider Mite Remedies
It is necessary to strictly adhere to the instructions for the use of drugs. Processing does not affect the germination percentage.
The industry produces other means that have proven their effectiveness. Among them are: Apollo, Etisso, Plant-Pin, Neoron, Kleschevit and others.
I buy Anikleshch for processing tomatoes from a spider mite. My tomatoes grow in an open area. I never noticed the web, but I saw spots on the leaflets. After processing, the plants grew perfectly.
You can get rid of the spider mite on tomatoes with the help of folk remedies. They help if the infection is not strong. Against a spider mite, such means are used:
- Alcohol (96-98%). In one liter of water, you need to dilute 2 tbsp. l alcohol and the resulting composition to spray tomatoes. Repeat the procedure in a week.
- Henbane. An infusion is prepared from it. For this, 1 kg of grass is poured with 10 liters of water, insisted for 12 hours, after which laundry soap is added.
Belena and spider mite laundry soap
Good results show the use of bleach. To get the effect, the procedure must be done several times. Does not like spider mite sulfur. They extract it from sulfur briquettes by burning. This method is suitable for killing spider mites on tomatoes in a greenhouse.
Tobacco and lime from a spider mite
In the fight against spider mites on tomatoes, I always use a decoction of tobacco. I process plants as soon as they grow up, without waiting for them to be attacked by a spider mite. Therefore, I have no problems.
It is much easier to prevent plant disease than to treat it later. This is a common truth familiar to everyone. Therefore, it is necessary to apply preventive measures. They are as follows:
- Before buying seedlings, you must carefully examine it.
- With self-growing seedlings, it is recommended to put an ultraviolet lamp near it 1-2 times a week.
- Remove weeds and loosen the ground.
- Spray seedlings regularly with room temperature water, ventilate the room.
- Before planting in the soil, it is recommended to hold the seedlings for three days in a plastic bag, then pour water.
Spider mites may be in the ground. Experts advise it to warm up at high temperature in the oven for three minutes. Pests after this procedure will be destroyed.
Performing such elementary actions, you can forever say goodbye to spider mites.
Since I myself grow seedlings, I always warm up the land bought in the store. Then I plant the seeds.
Signs of a tick on a rose
It is possible to determine the appearance of a spider mite on tomatoes only some time after its appearance. It is given out by the presence of a thin cobweb that braids the leaves. Small black dots are visible on the back of the leaves, these are larvae. The main thing is to immediately start the fight, because soon the plant will be entwined with cobwebs and begin to disappear, and bugs will begin to multiply at an incredible speed.
Ways of infection with a spider mite:
- Planting tomato seedlings in the infected area. Spider mite eggs can be stored in the ground for up to 5 years.
- Planting infected seedlings.
- Weeds, among which a tick hides.
It is always easier to warn than to treat, so regularly inspect the leaves of plants. Favorable conditions for the reproduction of the spider mite are low humidity and hot weather, so humidity in the area should be normalized. It is advisable to periodically place seedlings under an ultraviolet lamp. Try to water the plants, but not to flood them, because a false spider mite may appear, which on the contrary loves high humidity. To wash off the spider by immersion in water will not work, since the insect protects itself with an air bubble.
Bushes of tomatoes should be planted at a distance of 30 cm from each other, since in this case the tick is harder to move to a new plant. Weeds should be weeded, and cut bushes and fallen leaves must be removed, as they serve as a shelter and a place for propagation of many pests. Many gardeners place adhesive tape between the bushes, which delays not only ticks, but also other parasites.
The most popular drugs are:
- Plant Pin. This means looks like sticks that need to be immersed in the ground near the stem. It works well on ticks, but at an early stage of development of the problem. Valid for a month.
- Apollo The drug is valid for a month. It is a slightly toxic substance, so it is ideal for processing tomatoes. However, it does not kill bees, so it can be used near apiaries. The active substance has a detrimental effect not only on adults, but also on larvae, so you can see the result in a day. It uses 0.4-0.6 liters per 1 hectare.
- Actellik. A toxic drug that must be used with extreme care. Spraying is preferably carried out in a protective mask. 1 ampoule per 1.5 l. water is poured into the spray gun and spraying is carried out.
- Fitoverm. Biological product with a low degree of toxicity. Diluted 1.5 ml. per liter of water, then the resulting solution is added to a bucket of water and can be used. Spray “Fitoverm” should be sprayed outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
- Actara. It is used for most pests, but not against ticks. However, many gardeners have a positive effect after using the drug. The drug Aktar must be diluted at the rate of 8 g per 10 liters. water. Repeat spraying should be after 10-15 days.
Reviews of specialists
Recently I saw a spider mite on my tomatoes and realized that the process was deeply launched, since the seedlings were all hit by a spider web! Everything is in terrible condition. The forums recommended the use of Fitoverm, since it is less dangerous for humans. And indeed, the drug coped with the affected areas.
Pros: effective drug, easy to use,
Disadvantages: as with any chemistry should be used carefully.
I plant tomatoes for sale, so it is important for me that the bushes give a good harvest and try to use less chemistry. And then a spider mite wound up. Used the biological drug Akarin. Easy to breed and spray. He fought against the tick several times and brought them all out.
- Remove all debris from the site, pay special attention to removing fallen leaves, stems and other parts of the plant,
- Decontaminate the soil if your site was invaded by a spider mite last summer. The earth can be shed with boiling water, a solution of acaricide or sprinkled with a solution of bleach, and then dig up,
- If you are growing tomatoes and other vegetables in a greenhouse, be sure to carry out work on the disinfection of soil, load-bearing structures and other surfaces of the greenhouse,
- Greenhouse disinfection works are best started in the fall. After disinfecting or replacing the earth, rinse all accessible surfaces with acaricidal solution, and then use sulfur checkers to disinfect the room, (Photo)
- Do not open the greenhouse for at least five days after using smoke bombs,
- Before planting tomato seedlings, carefully inspect and, if necessary, sanitize each plant. Often spider mite eggs, and adult individuals fall on a bed with seedlings,
- When planting tomatoes, follow crop rotation rules. Do not plant tomatoes several times in the same place, make sure that crops prone to damage by a spider mite do not adjoin each other,
- Do not thicken your beds, it is important that the tomatoes are well ventilated and ventilated,
- Water the tomatoes on the open ground on time. Create in the greenhouse the most unfavorable microclimate for the spider mite: humidity above 85% at temperatures up to 250 ° C,
- Inspect plants regularly and remove debris near the roots. Provide enough phosphorus fertilizer and limit the use of chemicals with lots of nitrogen,
- Some gardeners place adhesive tape around the bushes that traps and kills malicious insects.
Folk methods of struggle
If preventive measures do not give the desired result, it is necessary to move on to more effective measures to influence pests. However, before using chemicals, we recommend using the many years of experience that gardeners and gardeners have gained while fighting pests.
Garlic infusion. A simple and effective tool, the preparation of which does not require special material costs, effort and time. Peel 500 grams of garlic cloves and grind them, using a meat grinder or under a press. Pour the garlic mass with three liters of boiling water, close the container well and set it to infuse in a dark place. After 7-9 days, open the infusion and strain it through several layers of gauze. Thus, you get a garlic concentrate, which is diluted with water in a ratio of 80 milliliters of concentrate per 10 liters of water. After mixing, add 100 grams of chopped laundry soap and stir until a soapy foam appears. Garlic infusion can be used for spraying and watering tomatoes, it can also be washed with leaves affected by a spider mite.
Black henbane. This plant can also be used to control the spider mite on tomatoes. However, one should take into account the high danger of the plant to humans: when preparing decoctions and infusions from bleached, we recommend that you comply with safety rules and wear personal protective equipment. Belena infusion is prepared very quickly: take one kilogram of fresh grass, fill it with 10 liters of hot water and set it to infuse for 30-36 hours. After that, being careful, strain the infusion, add 100 grams of laundry soap to it and sprinkle your tomatoes. More often than not, several plant treatments will be needed.
Infusion of onion husks. Another very popular folk remedy for processing tomatoes from spider mites. To prepare the infusion, take 100-120 grams of onion husks and pour them with five liters of hot water. Cover the container and set aside for 7-8 days. After this period, strain the infusion and add 50 grams of liquid soap to it, stir until foam appears. The tool can be used for spraying and watering tomatoes affected by a spider mite.
Infusion of calendula. The spider mite reacts very nervously to this plant, its smell repels the insect and prevents it from multiplying. To prepare the product, it is necessary to collect 400 grams of flowers, fill them with two liters of hot water, close the container and insist for a week in a dark and warm place. After this period, strain the infusion and add another four liters of water and 50 grams of liquid soap to increase adhesion. The mixture must be thoroughly mixed, after which it can be used to spray tomatoes.
Apple vinegar. Another simple and at the same time effective remedy against spider mites on tomatoes. It is enough to take 30 milliliters of apple cider vinegar and dilute it with ten liters of water. Для улучшения прилипаемости рекомендуем добавить 100 грамм измельченного хозяйственного мыла. Полученное средство можно использовать для промывания пораженных паутинным клещом листьев томатов и для опрыскивания растений. Для достижения максимального эффекта рекомендуем проводить 2-4 обработки в сезон.
Advantages and disadvantages of using chemicals
- A diverse selection of chemicals on the market,
- A wide spectrum of action (most acaricides affect not only the spider mite, but also other pests,
- Chemicals affect not only adults and larvae, but also tick eggs,
- Many drugs are not addictive in insects and do not accumulate in the soil and fruits.
- High-quality chemicals have a fairly high cost,
- Some drugs have a high degree of toxicity. They can be harmful to human health,
- There are many fakes on the market for original products.
We fight with a spider mite on tomatoes: gardeners tips
Anton Komaritsky, 63 years old, Tambov region:
After retiring, I decided to do gardening: I have a lot of free time, I still have health - I grow vegetables for myself and for sale. And everything would be fine, but the spider mite has just laid on my tomatoes and cucumbers. I did not know before that such an insect exists. In the first year, the tick destroyed half the crop. Now I approach the issue of protecting vegetables comprehensively: I spend a lot of preventive measures, and then I process Fufanon two more times. I will not say that I completely managed to get rid of this parasite, but it no longer has a significant effect on the crop.
Anna Sevidova, 48 years old, Kursk region:
We grow tomatoes on the open ground for ourselves and a little for sale. The spider mite is in trouble for a long time. It is clear that he lives in the ground and it is not easy to destroy it. Every year, twice (in autumn and spring), we dig and disinfect the soil, but it does not work to completely destroy the females and the insect eggs. If winter was warm, and summer is dry, then the pest attacks the garden in incredible quantities. In such years, we use Actellik. I know that the chemical is toxic, but one treatment per season is enough.