Every self-respecting person should know the history of his family. In ancient times, it was believed that the house must have a family tree (genealogical) tree. This form of visualization of family history is convenient and noble. In the form of a tree, a diagram of family ties is built. In the roots of this tree is usually located the ancestor. Representatives of the main line are depicted on the trunk itself, and on the branches (or on the leaves) - descendants of various degrees of kinship. In ancient noble houses, the family tree could occupy the entire wall. He was painted by the best artists. Now such a tree can be drawn both independently, and using a computer or even in an Internet program. To compose a family tree, you need to know at least 3 generations of relatives.
In the family tree, everything is indicated schematically. Portraits of relatives are arranged in beautiful frames. If you do not know how to draw beautifully, then remember: male ancestors are enclosed in squares, and female ancestors are enclosed in ovals. Husband and wife are traditionally connected by a dashed line, and children are connected with them by a line without dots (the usual straight line).
- whatman, a simple pencil, felt-tip pen or pen, watercolor, computer, information about your relatives
Mentally draw another horizontal line below. Under the line marking the marriage ties of your farthest known ancestors, indicate information about their children (if any). Parents with children are connected by a straight vertical line.
Further, the family tree will begin to branch, as it will be necessary to indicate the spouses of the children of your most distant known ancestors, as well as their children.
At this point we could finish drawing the family tree, but the real family tree scheme should be as complete as possible, otherwise it simply will not make sense. Ask relatives, maybe in one branch there was only one parent. Either the stepmother or stepfather was in the family. Then the scheme will acquire additional branches, and you will clearly see what other great-grandmothers, grandmothers, aunts you have.
You can fill the family tree indefinitely. If your grandmother had a sister, then you will be her second cousin, and her children will be second cousins and aunts, and so on. All this needs to be depicted in the diagram.
Tip 2: How to Make a Family Tree
What is the best place to start? It is necessary to make a family tree.
1. You should look at family photo albums and available documents containing important data, these can be various kinds of certificates about marriage, birth, death of family members. A large amount of useful information may contain diplomas, certificates, work books. After that, it is worth making copies of these documents and divide them into two groups - on the maternal and paternal side. And it’s better if a separate daddy is created for each member of the family.
2. Collect information directly from relatives.
Be sure to write down important data in a notebook or on a voice recorder, so as not to forget and not to miss the main details. Thanks to modern technology, you can contact relatives who do not live close by using a telephone or the Internet. All questions should be considered in advance. Surely, important information will be obtained for searching for connections.
3. If suddenly, for some reason, it was not possible to collect the right amount of information from relatives, then you can contact the archive. To do this, you need to know all the names and dates of birth, as well as the occupation of the characters you are looking for.
4. When all the information is collected, it remains, using the available data, to compose a family tree.
There are several compilation options.
Ascending genealogy - when the trunk is a specific person, but the branches symbolize his relatives, large - parents, and small - grandparents, etc.
The descending one, on the contrary, implies in the trunk of the ancestor, and the branches are his descendants.
Pie tables are also used. A person who is interested in his family is placed in the center, a circle is divided into two parts, in each of which data on ancestors by maternal and paternal lines are entered.
For lovers of accessibility and simplicity, you can use the genealogy table, in which each generation is located on its own line, which must be filled in seniority from left to right.
Each of the options presented can be designed according to the scope of your imagination. For example, a tree can be painted, as it is done in Western. Each color can be fraught with information about children and the marital status of a person. Various geometric figures can indicate information about male and female representatives of the genus.
For example, consider the most detailed version, the so-called pedigree painting.
Thus, the farthest of our ancestors will be at number 1 of the first tribe. And so on, first indicate the number of fathers and mothers, then the number of the child.
1.1. Alexander (had no children)
1.2. Sergey Nikitovich
1.3. Svetlana Nikitovna
1.4. Andrey Nikitovich
1.2.1. Sergey’s first child - Olga Sergeevna
1.2.2. Sergey’s second child - Evgeny Sergeevich
1.3.1. Svetlana's first child - Alexander
1.3.2. Svetlana's second child - Anna
1.4.1. Andrey's first child - Anastasia
1.4.2. Andrey's second child - Mikhail
Children of all representatives of the III knee
126.96.36.199. Olga's first child - Jeanne
And so on according to the scheme
You can also mark available information about each family member.
Thanks to genealogy, you can unite a family with one hobby, which will allow you to spend leisure time with interest and learn a lot about your kind.
A small introduction: a good habit is to write down
The kind's memory is not only photographs, so it can be said about any carefully kept family thing. An old coal samovar on a modern table looks ... nice. But it’s a completely different matter if the history of the samovar is based on the living stories of its ancestors! Therefore, it makes sense to make a habit: to record the stories of grandparents, mothers and fathers, great-grandmothers and great-grandfathers, uncles and aunts. Great-grandchildren may not have time to personally meet their great-grandfathers. But the younger generation will still be able to recognize them if audio or video recordings are preserved, in which relatives remain alive and healthy, telling about their lives.
Create a pedigree base
This is how, in live communication, professional ethnographers record information. But how to create the very foundation on which you can put on the clothes of oral stories, family traditions? Where can I get information, find out the exact dates, names and positions? The answer is simple - in the archives, and help can be found on social networks, where many groups of genealogy lovers actively work.
How to draw a family tree
Beginning researchers may experience difficulties associated with the graphically correct presentation of information. Therefore, today we touch on this topic.
First of all, decide who will be the "end user" of information. From a psychological point of view, it is important to begin to acquaint the child with questions of his pedigree from early childhood, kindergarten and even toddlers, gradually changing the form of information.
It is for a child of preschool or primary school age that the “artistic" version of the family tree is more suitable when a real tree is drawn, real leaves on its branches. However, it is not necessary to draw - design options depend on individual tastes, creative preferences and imagination; you can also download a ready-made template from the network.
”But here a problem arises - most of the schemes of family trees are not true!
For example, look at such a scheme that we found on the Internet.
Outwardly, it looks understandable for a child, but even a baby can ask a logical question: “Why am I the root, and do branches of“ mom ”and“ dad ”grow out of me? Indeed, the opposite is true! ”
”Indeed, the opposite! The general regularity of constructing family trees is that in the roots they represent the first of the ancestors known to us, the most distant from us.
Family Tree of Queen Victoria of England
”Another rule of scientific genealogy is that trees are built along the male line.
For example, the children of women who are married are depicted on the tree of their father, that is, the husband of this woman, they are not marked on the family tree of the parental family of this woman.
Important: It is precisely along the male line in our tradition that all types of fixing the genealogy are built: both genealogical schemes, and generation paintings, and already described genealogical trees. The rest in the design of the family tree is a matter of creativity.
”On a family tree about each person should write a surname, name, patronymic, date of birth and death if the person is no longer alive.
How to build a pedigree scheme
The principle of constructing a pedigree scheme in general terms resembles working with a family tree. Creativity, of course, less - there is no picturesqueness, artistry of the family tree.
”But from the point of view of the spatial organization of information, there are important differences: the family tree is necessarily built from the bottom up, and the scheme can be ascending (from bottom to top), descending (from top to bottom) and even lateral (from left to right).
In my opinion, for an adult who conducts pedigree research, the most convenient form of recording new information is generational painting. For adolescents, the ability to make generational paintings can also be a vivid addition to the course of Russian history.
So, the generational painting is attractive precisely because it allows you to make additions about any person without any problems, without violating the structure and design. Its other advantage is that it is the generational painting that allows you to record absolutely any information available about a person. Standardization in it refers only to the arrangement of relatives.
Let me explain this with an example - a fragment of a generational painting of the Zakharovs.
Appetite comes with eating. It is possible that if you take up this summer with your child compiling a family tree or a generational painting, you will want to ask your questions. Since 1994, there has been a public organization in Novosibirsk, the Novosibirsk Historical and Pedigree Society, uniting like-minded people and providing methodological assistance in compiling a pedigree. The company is represented by a group on the social network VKontakte >>>>
Interesting? Leave a link to this article on social networks!
Before proceed directly to the drafting family tree, you should decide what you draw it for and how deeply you are going to study into your family tree.
For kids in kindergarten and primary school students will be enough indicate information about the nearest relatives - parents, siblings (if any) and grandparents on both sides. If the child knows his aunt and / or uncle well, as well as his cousins, then you can add them. But you can usually stay with grandparents, more distant siblings communication may not be clear to the child, especially if he rarely communicates with aunts / uncles and cousins.
If the desire to draw a family tree with your own hands is caused not only by the child’s homework, then you need to conduct a survey of relatives who remember and know what. If grandparents are alive, they tell at least about their parents. It is good to know F.I.O., dates of birth, years of life, place of birth, profession. Now there are special projects and simply city archives that you can contact. The appeal will be more successful if you have at least some information - the maiden name of your grandmother or, for example, the date of registration of marriage.
After the preparatory work, you can choose the form of the family tree and the method of compilation.
Genealogical Tree Form
Family tree of family can be visually portrayed in two ways - we will arbitrarily call them graphic and artistic. The graphic method involves depicting the history of your family in a table showing generations and the degree of relationship. Artistic option impliesthat you yourself or using a computer program depicted a pedigree in the form of a tree with roots and branches.
There are also two options for starting the tree. If the family tree is needed primarily for homework, then it is easiest to start with a child, the second level will be parents and the third - grandparents. Then the name and / or photo of the child will be located below, on the trunk.
If you are going deeply study family history, it is better to place yourself / the child on the crown or top of the scheme, and leave the lower branches and roots to close and distant relatives.
Consider how to draw a family tree.
Method 1: template
Easiest and visually beautiful way, especially if you don’t feel confident in your ability to draw, take an already prepared generic tree template or diagram from the Internet. You can take a black and white template, print it, enter the names, paste photos and paint with pencils or paints.
This option is especially good for very young children who go to kindergarten, and do not draw very well, but they paint beautifully and know how to use glue.
Method 2: drawing
Such a tree is universal. It can be drawn both for homework, and if your family is large and the story goes far. You can draw as large a crown as needed. To do this, before proceeding to the tree itself, be sure to draw up a diagram of all family ties.
1. Take a piece of paper or A3 size paper, a simple pencil. Draw the roots of the tree and the trunk.
2. Draw as many levels of branches, how many generations you are going to make a tree.
For example, if there are a child on the tree, parents and grandparents, then you get a trunk and two levels of branches. On the first level there will be one branch for mom and dad, and on the second level there will be two branches for each pair of grandparents.
3. Draw vignette frames under the photo. A sample of such frames can be found on the Internet and copied through tracing paper or simply repeated by hand. Then your tree will look solid and beautiful. If the tree is small, choose one type of frame for everyone. If the tree is branched and there will be many relatives on it, you can choose two types of frames - separately for women and separately for men.
For children's homework you can choose as an apple frame, leaves or something else, depending on which tree you want to depict.
4. Paste the photo and write the names and surnames of relatives.
Method 3: collage
It will be beautiful and spectacular look like a family treemade of different materials as a collage.
Several generations of your family will definitely fit on such a tree, but this option is not the most convenient for serious study of your family tree.
You will definitely need cardboard, wallpaper residues, felt or wrapping paper in a suitable color, double-sided tape and fantasy.
- Decide on size of finished work, cut cardboard of the appropriate size.
- Wallpaper serves as a background. If there is no wallpaper, take a suitable wrapping paper. Prepare a sheet that matches the size of the cardboard sheet. Stick the wallpaper with double-sided tape on cardboard.
- Next, you need to cut a tree from felt (or any other material - wrapping paper, etc.).
If you draw well, you can apply the drawing with the power of soap or chalk directly to the fabric. If in doubt, make a paper stencil first.
Once the tree is ready, use glue or scotch tape to fix it on the cardboard with wallpaper.
- Can use ready-made photo frames, you can buy ready-made ones, and then paint them with a spray can in the desired color, you can make frames from felt of a different color or from paper.
We fix the photos and frames on our tree with glue.
On the trunk, it is better to place a photo of the child, then a photo of the parents and even higher grandparents.
You can further highlight the photo of the child, making it color, and the rest of the photo - black and white.
- Then pre closing something with a photo frameso as not to stain them, we attach foliage of yarn (or felt, or paper) to the branches of a tree.
- If there is a frame of the appropriate size, then insert the finished collage into it. If not, you can arrange the edges of the collage using twine or eyelets.
Method 4: electronic version - template
Before that, we talked about how to make a family tree with your own hands using improvised materials, then in the next two paragraphs we will focus on the application of technologies, i.e. computer programs.
On the Internet you can find a huge number of programs with built-in templates where you just need to insert a photo and make captions. The method is simple, computer skills are minimal, the result is fast and beautiful. The only thing you need to immediately decide is whether your tree will be colored or black and white and where you will print it.
A slightly more complicated option is to find a template for one of the graphic editors, for example, Photoshop, and insert a photo with captions. The tree will turn out to be more original, but it will require minimal knowledge on how to work in such programs.
Method 5: special program
Если вы серьезно решили заняться своей родословной, то самый оптимальный вариант – освоить одну из программ для составления генеалогического дерева. Они есть платные и бесплатные, англоязычные и русифицированные.
Возможности таких программ велики. You can upload there not only the names and photos of countless relatives, but also save interesting information about them, as well as upload an audio or video file with them. Children and grandchildren will appreciate your efforts.
Here are some of the most popular programs: SimTree, FamilyTreeBuilder, GenoPro, GRAMPS, RootsMagic, Tree of Life, Family Chronicle and many others.
Most likely, you will have to spend some time mastering the program, and possibly money, to purchase the full version, but you can save interesting and useful information about future generations ancestors in a convenient format.
Choose what you prefer creativity or technology and do not forget your roots!
Learning a story of sorts
First you need to know more about your origin.. Someone is quite well acquainted with the history of a kind, and someone knows almost nothing about their ancestors, brothers and sisters along other kindred lines. Before you draw a family tree, you need to collect all the important information that will help you in your work. You need to do this in this order:
- First you need to find out all the information about your family. This can be done with the help of family members or other relatives, by questioning. If you were asked to compose this family tree at school, then perhaps the information that your loved ones provide you will be quite enough. If you want to know a kind of history more deeply, you can use the genealogy database. You can find all the necessary sites on the Internet.
- Note that if you miss one of the family members, the family tree will partially lose its meaning. Therefore, you need to make sure that all the information you found is correct. To do this, it is better to check with several sources.
The most interesting - study the entire history of your family as thoroughly as possible. But if you draw a family tree, then it will be quite difficult to fit all the information received into it, since you will not go beyond the boundaries of the selected sheet of paper, and there will be quite a lot of names.
- Some consider it necessary to stop at great-great-grandfathers or great-grandfathers, as well as brothers and sisters, since these relatives are more closely connected with you than distant ones. That is why, in order to draw all the relatives on the family tree, you will have to dwell on these generations. If your family is not very large, then in this case you can expand your tree to a further generation.
We draw a family tree
First you need to imagine how your family tree should look like and how much space you need to leave for writing names. Drawing with a light pencil, at any time you can erase this or that branch and just redraw. That's why you first need to apply with a simple pencil.
Now enter your name. If this is your family tree, then it will begin with your name. You need to write it so that there is enough space around it for the names of your many relatives.
- The family tree will begin with your name. If you write it at the bottom of the page, then the branches can be drawn up, from above - then the branches on your behalf will go down. Some start from the side, in which case the branches will go sideways. Do as you please and as you like.
- If you still decide to depict your family tree in the form of a real tree, then in this case you need to draw it with a light pencil on paper, and place your name in any part of it - this will be the beginning.
Now it's time to add your relatives: parents siblings. Parent names should be placed directly next to your name above, below or on the side. Depending on which tree you depicted. The names of the brothers and sisters are written on the same level as yours, so that it can be seen that they are connected with your parents.
- If they have spouses and children, then they must also be indicated on your family tree. The names of the spouses are written next to each other, and the names of the children are written below them. And you can also draw connecting lines from parents to children, but this is optional.
- To draw a family tree is necessary as close as possible to the composition of your family. You need to specify both parents, stepmother or stepfather, even stepbrothers and sisters, as they are also part of your family. The main feature of the family tree - make sure that you have not forgotten anyone from your relatives.
- In order not to forget anyone, it is best to specify relatives in the same order. For example, first write the older brother or sister on the left side, and then the rest from left to right or vice versa.
Now you need to enter uncles and aunts, their children, as well as grandparents. From this moment, the family tree begins to branch. Near your father’s name, indicate his brothers and sisters, as well as their families (spouses, cousins). Next, indicate the names of your dad’s parents and connect them with lines going from each to their children. Do the same with your mom’s relatives. It is necessary to depict as many relatives as possible on your tree.
After this, you must continue to enter the names of your cousins and grandparents, great-grandmothers and great-grandfathers, and, of course, do not forget about their families (spouses and children). You need to do this until your family tree reaches the level of filling that you have in mind.
After you finish typing names, it is necessary to circle the tree with black or color paints, markers, felt-tip pens, highlighting the names and contour. To make your tree look more colorful, you can decorate it with decorative details:
- You can use different figures of guys and girls. For example, to indicate your relative’s gender on a tree, you can cut out circles to indicate females, and triangles for males. Thus, looking at the tree, people will immediately be able to distinguish gender.
- You can also use the dotted line to indicate spouses who are divorced. This will give you the opportunity to display the relationship between two people.
- On your tree you can also indicate the date of birth or date of death of one of the family members. This will give your tree additional information. Or you can briefly indicate a biography under each name (date of birth, maiden name, middle name, and so on).