If a responsible decision is made to purchase a pet, you should prepare for this event. Before choosing a budgie, get acquainted with information that will help to avoid mistakes when buying.
The birthplace of budgies is Australia. They perfectly take root at home and are unpretentious in care. The sizes of decorative representatives of birds are rather small. Body length is eighteen to twenty centimeters, wingspan - up to ten centimeters. The long tail has a stepped shape. Budgerigars have strong tenacious legs. They climb beautifully along the branches, and also quickly move on a flat surface.
Under natural conditions, birds have a green color. You can meet birds and other colors. Parrots of yellow, blue and even white color with a decorative black pattern were bred in artificial conditions.
Budgerigars are quite sociable. They love to swim. They have excellent eyesight and hearing. Amenable to learning. They have the ability to imitate the singing of various birds, as well as voice other sounds and repeat individual words. The life span of these birds is fifteen years.
How to choose a budgie?
You should not buy a bird that sits with a cracker. Ruffled feathers with damage indicate its poor condition. Also, you should not purchase a bird if there are other unhealthy individuals in the aviary. The likelihood that the acquired parrot can also get sick is very high.
In addition to external signs, the age of the bird is important. Adults do not take root well in the new conditions. Therefore, you should buy parrots at the age of 1-2 months.
How to choose a budgerigar, so as not to be mistaken with the age of the bird? It can be determined by external signs. Birds up to three months old have a wavy plumage on their heads, their eyes are completely painted black. Rainbow circles around the eyes appear later. Black marks are present on the cornea of the beak.
How to choose a budgie - a boy or a girl?
When choosing a parrot, buyers quite often want to purchase either a male or a female. To do this, you must be able to distinguish between them. This is especially important when acquiring a pair of birds. You can choose a budgerigar - male or female - according to external data. The main hallmark of the floor is the color of the waxen, located in the upper part of the beak. In males, it is painted in blue or blue. The opposite sex has a growth over the pink or brown beak. In size, the males are slightly larger. They are more sociable and mobile.
Moving a bird always causes her stress. Falling into new conditions, the budgerigar must get comfortable and get used to the new conditions of detention. Before choosing a budgie, you should familiarize yourself with the rules of its maintenance and feeding. In a new place, favorable conditions should be created for him and fodder prepared. At the pet store you need to ask about the diet of the bird. If you have the usual food and good conditions, the pet will pretty soon get comfortable after transporting and moving it to a new place. Gradually the budgerigar will get used to the location of the feeder and drinker. Later it will be possible to modify the diet.
How to choose a budgie to speak? This question arises among many lovers of domestic animals. When choosing a pet, preference is given to budgies because of the ability to imitate. For training, it is better to choose a boy under the age of those months. They are easier to learn. A lonely bird quickly gets used to its owner.
Before starting training, the bird should be allowed to get used to the owner. A hand-held parrot recognizes its owner, sits on his shoulder and takes food from his hands. In order for the pet to remember certain words and phrases, it is necessary to constantly talk with him. Moreover, communication should be unobtrusive and enjoyable. During training, other sounds should not distract the parrot. The presence of prying voices or the presence of other birds will distract the pet. Training begins with simple words that are repeated many times in his presence. After the lesson is learned and the bird speaks, the task can be complicated.
How to prepare for a parrot purchase
Getting a small parrot is simple as it is: now in pet stores there are a lot of different birds, feed, accessories for keeping. Prices for all this good are affordable. Before you start choosing a parrot for your home, you need to consider everything. It is worth discussing wishes in the family circle, not to forget a single trifle:
- Watch the video. Even babies like wavy kids litter and make noise. They awaken at dawn, chirping all day. Flying around the apartment, they leave a litter behind them, break off the wallpaper, curtains. Spoil documents, books, nibble flowers.
- Rate the space. Choose a place where the cell will be located. A wavy does not need large housing, but he still needs freedom. The containment rules require that the cage be removed from windows, batteries and household appliances. At the same time, parrots do not like to be moved from place to place. The birds should have a permanent corner.
- Allocate time. Outgoing birds need attention, they miss people without people. If you don’t even have one free hour a day to talk with a parrot, pet it and train it, do not start a pet. Loneliness awaits him, and then depression.
- Choose gender and number of birds. Having a lot of time for classes, take one wavy boy. Males are better trained, imitate speech. Females are shy, less attached to the owner. Two same-sex birds are often at enmity, and heterosexual birds form a family and raise chicks.
- Collect first aid kit. Only care items and medications are not enough, you still need to write down the address and phone number of the nearest veterinary clinic. The feathered ward will have to be treated, vaccinated, taken for routine examinations.
When all the pros and cons are weighed, and the decision is made that you buy a wave, it is time to go to places of trade.
Where to buy a budgie
You can buy a budgie from amateur breeders or at retail outlets:
- at the pet store
- from a professional breeder,
- by ad
- in a specialized club,
- in the bird market.
Buying a budgie in a pet store is the easiest option. There are always birds of different colors. Usually there are handed out for sale chicks bred at home. The seller will help you figure out how to choose the right hand parrot. He will tell about the needs of the bird, recommends inventory. Conscientious merchants value the reputation of the store and take good care of the birds, do not allow crowding in the cages. If you're lucky, the seller will advise an individual that is right for you.
Breeder - a person who is engaged in breeding birds professionally. He knows thoroughly the positive and negative sides of the chick, he can say everything about health, behavior and possible problems. He will show parents his age and gender. Often, breeders monitor the fate of the sold parrots, offer their phone for consultation.
In specialized nurseries and clubs, chicks with an interesting color or exhibition are more often chosen. Here you will find out the exact age of the bird, origin. Such parrots have a pedigree, a fixed ring, well, the price is appropriate.
Avian market - it should be considered last. In such places, birds live in crowded, mud. They are poorly looked after due to the huge number of individuals. In such conditions, you can unexpectedly buy a sick parrot. In order not to take a "pig in a poke", you need to know the signs of a painful condition and present the appearance of a healthy wavy.
What does a healthy bird look like
A sick parrot is not as scary as you might think. But you can’t bring a sick individual to the house where other birds live - it will infect everyone. So how do you choose and buy a healthy parrot? Carefully consider his appearance and behavior. Indicators of a safe bird:
- shiny, dense plumage,
- eyes are clean, not cloudy,
- wax without cracks and growths,
- smooth, clean beak,
- smooth skin on the legs,
- proud posture
- the area of the cesspool is neat, covered with feathers.
A well-groomed parrot must be well-fed and active. When perched, the legs are spread wide and cling tightly with four fingers. If there were injuries, fractures, it’s hard for the bird to maintain balance, she walks awkwardly.
What is the difference between a chick and an adult
Ornithologists recommend choosing a budgerigar no older than six months. The young chick has a flexible psyche, it is easier to tame, quickly gets used to the new house. For the parrot to speak, you need to start his training as early as possible. How to make a purchase with age?
Signs of young individuals:
- clear waves on the back and head from the wax. After the first molt, the feathers from the crown of the head to the back of the head take on the same color, without any splashes and patterns,
- black spots on the beak, dark iris, without rings,
- short tail,
- matte shade of feathers, no gloss.
You need to consider a bird in the company of relatives. Comparing different individuals, you are more likely to pick up a young parrot.
How many parrots to buy
The number of birds depends on the goals and capabilities of the breeder. If you choose for yourself a companion who will brighten up your loneliness, it is better to take one talking parrot. Constant communication and care will allow the new pet to eventually become a full member of the family. Connoisseurs of silence are advised to start a girl with a budgie, as it is the females who behave less noisily than the males.
If the owners are few at home, a lonely bird begins to yearn. You can rid a feathered ward of sadness by choosing a company for him. Two or three individuals can live in one spacious cage. Well, if you have breeding plans, get a female and a male right away.
How to choose a male budgerigar
Often take male budgies: it is believed that they are more active, cheerful, easier to tame. It is easier to teach a boy to speak, and the ability to imitate human speech is one of the most attractive qualities.
Often, gender is quite obvious. Females and males do not particularly differ in plumage, the main external sexual characteristic is the color of the wax. In mature females it is brown or beige, in males it is purple. In young birds that have not passed the molting stage, sex is diagnosed with a low probability. Even the seller can not always accurately tell.
How to find a talking parrot
Budgerigars are able to memorize the words that people say, and play them without reference to the situation. What to look at and how to choose a budgie so that he speaks?
- Sex is important: boys learn faster and speak more readily than girls.
- Good health - an active and cheerful bird tuned for chatter.
- The young chick is strongly attached to the owner, unlimited trust in him.
- The most talkative are individuals with a natural color. Rare mutations, especially albinos, speak poorly.
- Weak chicks abandoned by parents are the best students. Growing up under the care of a “nanny," they absorb information and begin to speak early.
Gender, age, health - the main criteria for learning. Ideal for training boys aged 8 - 10 months. It turns out that it’s not so difficult to choose a parrot for conversation. Affectionate help will consolidate the result.
What parrot does not need to be taken
There are certain moments in the behavior of birds that should alert you. When choosing, pay special attention to the following nuances:
- discharge from the nostrils - a consequence of the common cold, runny nose or severe illness,
- the parrot is very itchy, not only with its beak, but also with its claws - there are parasites on the skin and feathers,
- chips on the beak and growths on the wax - health problems.
How to help the bird adapt
So, the budgie is selected, purchased and transported inside the apartment to the apartment. Now you need to carefully move it to the prepared cell. To do this, place the portable box next to the cage and align the two open doors. It is necessary to pay attention: you can not catch a bird and drive it into a permanent home. Do not let fly freely around the room. Be patient, otherwise a frightened bird will not be able to trust you for a long time.
Having entered the cage, the parrot will find the amenities you have created: feeders, various climbing devices, and seating. At first, he will hide from prying eyes in containers. Put the grain mixture, fresh twigs in advance in the feeders so that the hungry baby has something to do.
The first two weeks do not walk the new pet, do not disturb him once again, less often restore order in the cage. Let the chick get used to the environment, new sounds and objects, the voices of people. Do not allow pets into the room, protect the parrot from flashes of light, create a suitable microclimate. Kindly refer to the wavy, call him by name.
Noticing that the ward is friendly, let him out for a walk. Before this, secure the room as much as possible, close the doors and windows. Normally, the adaptation period ends when the bird calmly sits on the shoulder or finger of its owner. After that, consider that the contact is established.
Choosing a budgie is an important and difficult task. With proper care, a small feathered pet will live with you for ten years or more. Decide in advance how many birds you need, what gender and age. Go to the breeder with a well-deserved reputation, so you get healthy parrots.
How to choose a young parrot?
As a rule, choosing a parrot is better than a young one - it will be able to quickly get used to the new situation, it will be more fun and more mobile than the elderly. Older birds are easier to tame and train. How to choose a parrot:
- get a bird at the age of 4-5 weeks,
- you shouldn’t take completely “yellow-handed” chicks - the feathered one must learn to eat without outside help,
- it’s better to buy a bird from experienced breeders - it will be manual,
- birds brought from natural conditions, more capricious and noisy, more difficult to get used to new foundations.
How to choose a parrot for conversation?
Domestic parrots are the only birds that can talk. Some species have a flat language that can reproduce human speech. The best students are jaco, macaw, cockatoo, but these are expensive breeds. This type of bird, like a cockatiel or a budgie, is cheaper and will also be able to please with conversation. If you start practicing with a 1-3 month old chick right after the purchase, he will say the first phrases in 10-12 weeks. How to choose a budgie for conversation:
- the age of the chick should be 28-35 days,
- for conversations it’s better to buy a green or blue male — the parrots of other colors learn worse,
- females also speak, but their speech abilities are lower,
- it is better to get one male, because with a living girlfriend he will not have the desire to communicate with the owner through human speech.
Which parrot to choose?
Before choosing a parrot, you need to determine for yourself the desired criteria for a future feathered friend:
- Breed. Her choice depends on her experience in keeping birds.If this is the first pet, it is better to stop on the wavy, lovebirds, corolla. They are characterized by a cheerful disposition, it is easy to care for them, to train them. Experienced breeders can buy macaws, Alexandrians. They require a lot of attention and are wayward in nature.
- The size. Large: Macaw, Jacquot, Amazon, cockatoo. Medium: necklace, rosella. Small: wavy, lovebird, corella. When choosing, you need to evaluate the dimensions of the room and the ability to install cells of the right size.
- Floor. Males are more active and learn faster. The female is more flexible.
- Costs. Exotic breed will require considerable expenses. Wavy, lovebirds, corella - this is a budget option.
Before choosing a parrot, it is important to pay attention to his state of health. It depends on how much the pet lives in the new home, whether it infects other individuals with diseases. How to choose a healthy parrot:
- Before buying, take a closer look at the behavior of the bird - a healthy individual will be fun and active. The patient sits, laughing, moving a little.
- Check eyes and wax over the beak. Muddy blurred pupils or the presence of clotted mucus on the eyelids, nostrils indicate the presence of diseases.
- Listen to the breathing of the bird - it should not have wheezing.
- It is important to pay attention to volume. Well-fed birds often get sick, and if the sternum sticks out at an acute angle, this is also a sign of illness.
- Inspect the paws - there should be no growths and husks on them.
How to choose a young budgerigar?
Small budgies are ideal for beginners. They do not require special care, have a calm character. How to choose a healthy budgie:
- The boy should have clear dark wavy lines on his forehead, upper back. After the first molt, they disappear.
- Eyes should be pure black. In adult birds, a white border appears around the pupil.
- The young bird is distinguished by a dark beak and a short tail, its plumage is without shine and has a matte shade.
When deciding which parrot to choose for their home, self-confident owners can safely get smart jaco. This bird is large, has a gray color and a red tail. The pet’s character is wayward, he can learn several hundred words, repeat the melodies of the songs. How to choose a jaco bird:
- You need to buy a chick from experienced breeders under the age of 5 months - only a baby-fed baby is kind and gentle, he will quickly get used to the new owners and start talking. Wild bird behaves more aggressively.
- Before buying, you need to look at the eyes of a jacquot - if they are completely dark, then this is a chick. After a year, the iris of the bird brightens and eventually turns yellow. Before molting, the feathers of the undertail have gray spots. It’s almost impossible to pinpoint the age of an adult bird.
How to choose a necklace parrot?
Unpretentious parakeets attract people with bright green with a bluish tint in the plumage in the nape of the neck. Their distinguishing feature is a wide pink stripe on the neck (in adult males) and a black tie. How to choose a good necklace parrot:
- You need to purchase a chick in a nursery or pet shop after 7 weeks from birth, he will quickly be tamed and by the year will turn into a real talker.
- The chicks have a dull plumage, without a necklace and a black mandible.
- A distinctive feature of the young bird is its orange beak. After a year, it turns red from above, after three years - black from below.
How to choose a lovebird parrot?
Cute lovebird parrots have a grassy-green plumage and pink cheeks, throat and chest, and a forehead with a bright red stripe. They are distinguished by the tender affection of the male and female, who constantly stick together - they drink, eat, relax, sorting feathers from each other. How to choose a parrot when buying:
- It is better to get a chick after two months, it will be easier to train, because this breed is not very talkative.
- The main sign of youth is blackness at the base of the beak, by three months it will become completely light.
- The chicks are distinguished by a dark, nondescript color, a red stripe on the forehead appears towards the end of the fourth month of life. At eight months, the bird has an adult color.
How to choose a cockatiel parrot?
The bird is friendly, unpretentious, easily tamed and remembers a large number of words. The color of Corell is often gray or light lemon. How to choose a parrot for home:
- To get a pet for communication, you need to buy a hand-held chick at the age of 5-6 weeks. He immediately goes in the palm of a man.
- In young Corelli, yellowish and gray stripes are clearly visible on the back and tail, and lemon spots on the wings. After the first molt in six months or a year, these foci disappear, the body darkens, the head becomes canary in color.
- A good indicator of the youth of the bird is a dark gray shade of the beak. In adults, it brightens.
How to choose a male parrot?
Lively males always have more colorful outfits and look brighter than females. Their behavior is much more active - the boys fuss, make a lot of sounds, trying to attract attention. For different breeds, sex characteristics are different. How to choose a boy parrot:
- Wavy. The male has a blue-lilac wax, evenly colored.
- Jaco. The boy has a thickened head with a flattened crown, a longer beak.
- Necklace. A pink ring around the neck forms in the male after three years. Prior to this, he differs from a female with a head of a more square shape, the color of his cheeks is brighter, his tail is longer, his beak is burgundy.
- Corella. Sex can be determined after 3.5 months. Then the males begin to demonstrate their vocal abilities. After molting, the boy will turn pearl gray with orange cheeks.
How to choose a female parrot?
Females do not show themselves as males. They are often calmer, “cackle”, throw their head back. How to choose a parrot girl:
- Wavy. The female has a beige or brown wax with white highlights around the nostrils.
- Jaco. Girls have a narrower and smaller skull, feathers on their belly are lighter, their legs are wider than those of a male.
- Necklace. Females have a more rounded head, without a ring around the neck, the beak is red. They are stockier and with thick legs.
- Corella. When a boy begins to sing intensely at 3-6 months, the girl will sit blankly on the sidelines. After molting, the female acquires more rounded shapes and dusty-gray plumage without blush.
How to choose a parrot for a child
“If you are looking for a pet for a child, you need a talking parrot with a peace-loving character, calm and not causing problems in everyday life,” says Oksana Korolkova, the seller of the pet store. - For this reason, the cockatoo will not suit you, despite the fact that it bows funny in different directions and masterfully whistles. The fact is that the cockatoos do not know how to talk, but they themselves open the cells, cannot stand the loneliness and scream loudly, left alone. Among all types of parrots who can speak, the most gifted are the jaco, because they have the mind of a five-year-old child. It is incredibly interesting with them - they are calm, affectionate, speak with whole sentences, sing songs and just copy other people's voices and any sounds. However, they need to be treated very kindly, since Jaco has a fine mental organization, so any changes drive them into severe stress, even if it is a cabinet change. Alas, depressed parrots actively pluck their feathers and then do not look very aesthetically pleasing. ”
It is hardly worthwhile to start a macaw - they are too big, scream loudly and speak little, but they lend themselves very well to training. Lovebird parrots cannot be taught to speak at all, although they are very beautiful, unpretentious in leaving, cheerful, but they live only together with a partner. The Corella parrots with a crest on their heads are very calm and peaceful, and although they do not achieve virtuosity in speech, it is pleasant to communicate with them, they do not show aggression towards children. If they bite, it doesn’t really hurt.
The most popular in our country are budgies. They are easy to train, do not make noise and are easily tamed. In addition, they are very small, like to chat and remember words well. If you want to choose a parrot to teach you how to speak and not spend a lot of time and money on keeping a bird, choose budgies.
How to choose a parrot: boy or girl
Most importantly, the bird must be healthy, otherwise you will have to treat it and spend considerable money on it. A healthy parrot is very active, it has clean and shiny eyes and a beak, feathers snug against each other. The base of the beak is smooth, without growths and pits, the nostrils have no discharge, the nails are clean, and the tummy is taut.
You should be alert for the following symptoms - lethargy, drowsiness, a scruffy look, or, conversely, impulsiveness and excitement with erratic throwing around the cell. Do not buy a bird with growths on its claws, with peeling on its beak, with dirty secretions at the eyes and stomach. The number of birds depends on your desire and size of the cage, as well as on the lifestyle of the family. If the parrot will often remain alone, it is better to get a friend or girlfriend so that he does not get bored. However, having friends, the feathered is unlikely to make friends with a person. Therefore, if your goal is to tame a bird, teach it to speak and do manual, it is best not to start other parrots.
Male birds have more ability to speak, so they are more popular than female parrots. If we are talking about a budgie, then the females differ from males in white circles around the nostrils. Buy young birds - they can be quickly trained in everything you need, they can easily adapt to new conditions. Interestingly, of all the parrot species that talk, it is easiest to train parrots with green plumage, and white birds are the most difficult to master speech skills. Some trainers believe that if you select the weakest bird and educate it properly, it will become a very devoted friend, who does not recognize anyone except his master.
Choosing the right parrot is not very simple, but later on you will not know the hassle of a bird that will become a real member of your family.