Many probably already had to try this cold peerless drink in city coffee houses. Its highlight is a large fraction of crushed ice, which creates a dense mass with the taste of the selected components. But not everyone knows how to cook frappe on their own.
How was the drink opened and where to stress
Its appearance happened by chance, as well as many famous discoveries. International Exhibition in Thessaloniki, 1957. There is a presentation of the new Nestle product - a children's chocolate drink that was whipped with milk. One of the employees really wanted to drink coffee. But since there was no hot water anywhere, he had to pour a packet of instant coffee into a cup of cold water and stir it for a long, long time. So Greece first learned about frappa coffee.
In a cafe or restaurant when ordering coffee frappe, you can hear the stress on the first or second syllable. But, as a rule, the accent in foreign words depends on the country of their origin. For example, in the words of Italian origin, emphasis is placed on the first syllable, in French - on the last. And the word “frappe” came to us from the French language, which means that it is correct to put the emphasis on “E” - frappE.
For the preparation of frappe coffee, finely ground grains are used or instant coffee is used. Here, the most important point is getting a thick foam, which is formed using a mixer, shaker or blender. Depending on drinking preferences, it is not forbidden to add milk or a little sugar. Drinks a drink through a straw in order to feel the taste bouquet.
In the cold, it is very good in the hot season, when there is simply no desire to even drink something warm. The ice in its composition cools, and the coffee invigorates. And in winter, when you want warmth, you can add honey, milk or nuts.
To diversify the coffee cocktail, you can add all kinds of fruits to it. It can be cranberries, pomegranate, pineapple, apple, peach, watermelon. Egg frappe also occurs. Consider the basic recipe for frappe coffee, which is extremely simple, and it only takes 7-8 minutes to make it.
- 2 tsp finely ground coffee
- granulated sugar to taste
- 4-5 ice cubes,
- 100 ml of milk (with a percentage of fat content of at least 2.5%),
- ¼ cup of water (50-60 ml).
- We cook the usual portion of espresso and pour into a shaker.
- Then add sugar, the amount depends on how much sweet coffee you prefer. Shake it up. As a result, we get a dense foam with a pleasant smell.
- Ice cubes are placed in a tall glass or irish glass.
- The last step in preparing a cocktail is that the resulting foamy substance is poured into a glass with ice, milk is added, everything is mixed and drunk with pleasure through a straw.
Instead of milk, you can use cream.
With Cherry Or Cherry Orchard
For a variety of flavors at home, you can make frappe with cherries. The amount of ingredients is indicated per serving.
- 100-120 ml espresso,
- 4-5 ice cubes,
- 5 g pitted cherries
- 2 cherries on a branch.
- First, brew strong espresso.
- Cherry with pits is placed in the freezer for a short time, just to cool, but not freeze.
- The pitted cherries are whipped with a blender and laid out in tall glasses on legs with pre-crushed ice.
- Then espresso gently flows into the wall.
At the end, frappe coffee is decorated with two frozen cherries and served with a straw. The drink will be especially delicious if you drink it immediately after preparation.
With honey or “Winter Charm”
Such a drink will be appropriate in the cold season, when you want to wrap yourself in a soft blanket and sit down by the fireplace with a book in your hands. The amount of ingredients is indicated per serving.
- 100 ml espresso
- 75 ml of milk
- 20 g of chocolate (black),
- 1 tsp honey (preferably floral),
- 4-5 ice cubes.
- In 2/3 glasses prepared in advance, ice is laid out.
- Next, make espresso, cool, mix with milk, grated chocolate (leave a little for decoration) and honey.
- Then everything is mixed in a shaker until foamy or whipped in a blender.
- The resulting mixture slowly, so as not to damage the foam, pours along the walls into a glass of ice.
Decorated with chocolate on top and drunk through a straw.
We drink frappe in Greek
Greek coffee frappe has gained great popularity in Cyprus. Cypriots rank it among their national drinks and are proud of it. In general, we can say that drinking frappe for the islanders is a way to have a good time. You can make a classic Greek drink at home.
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- granulated sugar to taste
- 50 ml of water
- 100 ml of milk
- 3-5 ice cubes.
Coffee, sugar and cold milk, water are mixed and whipped with a mixer or in a shaker until a thick foam.
Then everything pours into a high transparent glass with ice, a straw is inserted and pleasure begins!
Coffee cocktail bar mode
And here is the recipe for an improved bar variant of frappe coffee.
- ice cubes,
- 50-70 ml of ice cream (preferably vanilla),
- 30-50 ml of espresso,
- ¼ tsp cocoa,
- cinnamon and chocolate for decoration.
- Espresso, cocoa and ice cream are whipped in a blender.
- Ice is added to the mixture and again everything is whipped until a dense foam appears.
- The cocktail is poured into a tall vessel, a cinnamon chocolate chip decoration is made from above.
History of frappe coffee
In French, frappé means beaten. So in the XIX century they called drinks with crushed ice, including coffee. For example, coffee with ice and ice cream was called "frappe a la glace." Gradually, the word frappé appeared another meaning - "chilled."
But the drink that we know today as frappe was born on October 7, 1957 at the International Fair in Thessaloniki. Nestle presented chocolate powder there, which was easily dissolved even in cold milk. During the break, an employee of the company, Dimitris Vakondios, tried to make coffee, but did not find boiling water anywhere. Desperate, Vakondios simply mixed Nescafe instant coffee and sugar in a shaker, poured cold water and shook it well. The result was iced coffee with lush foam.
Perhaps if the exhibition was held in some northern country, no one would have paid attention to what had happened. But in Greece, soft drinks are vital. Coffee, which can be quickly prepared and does not need to be specially cooled, is a real find for both bartenders and visitors. In order to further reduce the temperature of the drink, crushed ice was added to it. The name for a new type of coffee was borrowed from the French.
Frappe recipe maker Dimitris Vakondios
The Nestle administration could not help but appreciate the prospects. Thanks to advertising, frappe instantly became fashionable. This method of making instant coffee has become the main one in Greece. In 1979, frappe coffee was recognized as the national Greek drink.
There are 3 types of Greek frappe:
- glycos (glykós, γλυκός) - sweet: 2 tsp coffee and 4 tsp Sahara,
- metrios (métrios, μέτριος) - average: 2 tsp coffee and 2 tsp Sahara,
- sketos (skétos, σκέτος) - simple: 2 tsp sugar free coffee.
Classic Greek frappe is made exclusively from instant coffee. There are no more standards in the choice of ingredients, nor in the method of preparation. Sometimes frappe is whipped with ice, in other cases, ice cubes are poured with a whipped coffee cocktail.
Frappe with water and milk is called frapogalo (φραπόγαλο, frapógalo). In Cyprus, only a little water is added to frappogalo to whip the foam, the rest of the liquid is milk, and the fatter the better. Some frappa or frappogalo coffee houses serve ice cream.
There is also an option when iced coffee is not whipped, but mixed with a spoon, because of which it acquires a slightly different texture. Such coffee is called κουταλάτος (koutalatos) - "ship": the way of preparation was invented by sailors.
Tourists who visited Greece brought with them a recipe for their favorite coffee. But after the 2004 Olympics, frappe became popular all over the world. True, in different countries, the drink recipe was amended:
- in Bulgaria, instead of water, often use Coca-Cola,
- in Serbia frappa is called hladan nes and served with milk, ice cream and whipped cream,
- in Denmark, water is replaced with cold milk.
Recently, frappe based on espresso (single or double) has gained popularity in Europe. In Italy, the word frappe refers to a milkshake. Italians do not particularly like instant coffee. A drink similar to Greek frappa, but based on natural coffee, is called granita al caffè in Italian.
In the northeastern states of the USA, where many immigrants from Italy live, milkshakes are called frappe (in English, “frappe”). In the 1980s, Coffee Connection invented the frappuccino drink, which is a milkshake mixed with coffee and ice crumbs, in the Boston coffeehouse Coffee Connection.
When the Starbucks coffee chain acquired Coffee Connection in 1994, it inherited the original recipe. Now in the coffee houses of this network around the world serves frappuccino - in fact, the same frappe, but not with crushed ice, but with ice crumbs. Starbucks also sells pre-packaged frappuccino without ice. It’s not Nescafe that is added to coffee drinks, but Via freeze-dried coffee, which is as close as possible to taste and aroma to natural.
Selection of ingredients for frappe
The main highlight of frappe is high foam. The most magnificent and steady foam turns out in the coffee deprived of oils. Therefore, the best option for making a frappe coffee base is powdered or granular instant coffee. It’s a little harder to beat freeze-dried coffee, but if frappe is made without milk, this type of instant powder is preferable.
In expensive cafes, frappes are prepared on the basis of a single or double espresso. Such a drink is tastier and healthier, but the foam on it is far from as stable as on instant coffee.
At home, frappe is made from double espresso or from 50 ml of coffee brewed in a Turk. Coffee made in a French press or purover will not work: it does not have foam. Since it takes quite a bit of natural coffee to make frappe, it does not make sense to cool it: it is better to mix it immediately with cold water or milk. For frappa you need soft bottled water, with a salinity of 75 to 250 mg / l.
In Greece, concentrated milk (condensed without sugar) is added to frappa. It has a light caramel flavor. When mixed with melting ice, concentrated milk is restored to normal. Concentrated milk can be replaced with regular, fat content more than 2.5%, or 10% cream. Skim milk should not be used: frappe will have too watery taste.
If ice cream is added to the drink, it is better to take ice cream. Whipped cream for decoration can be either natural or vegetable, although frappe with natural cream is tastier.
Characteristics of frappe
|Varieties of coffee||Any instant or natural coffee, both 100% arabica and mixtures with robusta are allowed|
|Type of coffee base||Instant coffee, espresso, coffee in Turk|
|The temperature of the finished coffee||+10 ± 3 ° C|
|Cooking time||5 minutes|
|Serving Size, ml||200–250 ml|
|Caffeine Content (Fortress)||In a frappe of 50 ml of coffee brewed in Turk - about 30 mg per serving,|
from one shot of espresso - 50–68 mg,
double espresso - 100–136 mg,
from instant coffee - 100-200 mg (depending on brand), from Nescafe - 200 mg
with sugar without milk - 21.60–23.85 kcal
with sugar and milk with a fat content of 2.5% - 73.60–75.85 kcal,
with sugar, milk and 50 g of ice cream - 210.10–212.35 kcal,
with sugar and 10% cream (non-whipped) - 139.60–141.85 kcal
The proportions of frappe
Frappe coffee lovers are advised to purchase a special mixer for liquids: using it, you can quickly get a lush foam. If there is no such mixer, you can whip coffee in a blender or shaker. The classic recipe suggests that frappe is prepared from 2 tsp. instant coffee or double espresso. But for those who can’t get a lot of caffeine, you can use one shot of espresso or a drink of 1 tsp. instant coffee.
The amount of ice varies from 3-4 cubes to 2/3 glasses. Some baristas even recommend filling the entire glass with large ice cubes.
- Mix coffee with sugar in a deep vessel or shaker.
- Pour mixture of 2 tbsp. l water.
- Beat with a mixer or in a shaker.
- Dip the ice in a tall glass.
- Pour it with coffee foam.
- Top up with water.
- Stir with a cocktail straw.
Water can be used more or less than in the recipe. To taste, vanilla sugar or cinnamon is added to the coffee base. Top is often decorated with whipped cream.
Frappe with natural coffee
- 50 ml of coffee brewed in a Turk, or 25-50 ml of espresso,
- 1-2 tsp Sahara,
- 100 ml of milk
- crushed ice
- vanilla, cinnamon, grated chocolate, whipped cream - optional.
- Beat coffee, sugar, milk and crushed ice in a blender.
- Pour into a tall glass.
- Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate, if desired.
Caramel frappe with natural coffee
The ingredients are the same as in the previous case, in addition - 25-30 ml of caramel syrup.
- Decorate the walls of a chilled glass with patterns (waves, curls) from syrup.
- Beat coffee, sugar, milk, crushed ice and 20 ml of caramel syrup.
- Pour the whipped mixture into a glass.
- 100 ml of coffee brewed in a Turk, or 25-50 ml of espresso,
- 1-2 tsp Sahara,
- 50 ml of 10% cream
- 25-30 ml raspberry syrup,
- 50 g of ice cream,
- 50–75 ml of cold water
- grated chocolate to taste
- crushed ice.
- If the coffee base is espresso, top it up to 100 ml with cold water.
- Beat with a blender coffee, cream, sugar, 20 ml raspberry syrup, crushed ice.
- Pour into a glass.
- Put a ball of ice cream on top, garnish with the remaining raspberry syrup, sprinkle with grated chocolate.
How to serve and drink frappe coffee
Frappe is served in tall glass or irish coffee glasses. A straw is served along with coffee, and if the drink is decorated with artificial cream, then a spoon.
Berries, mascarpone-based desserts, whipped cream, chocolate, biscuits or shortbread cookies go well with frappe.
There is a lot of caffeine in frappe coffee, so it is recommended to drink it slowly, in small sips. You can not drink more than one serving of frappe per day: it is harmful to the throat.
- Craving for experiments, prompted the young Greek to try to beat instant coffee, diluted with cold water, with sugar. So the world saw a cold drink with a thick foam and amazing taste.
- The recipe was originally from Greece, and received the name thanks to the French word "frappe", which means - chilled.
- Frappe was invented in 1957, a man by profession, not related to bar business.
How to make frappe coffee at home
- Expresso - 50 ml.
- 1-2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Ice. Strongly chilled water is also suitable. 1: 1 ratio with coffee.
You will need a shaker. If it is not at hand, you can replace it with a blender, with a whipping nozzle. In extreme cases, any kitchen utensils with a tight-fitting lid.
- Prepare a serving of espresso in any convenient way (see how to make espresso at home).
- In coffee, add sugar, flavoring. Stir and let cool.
- Pour it into a bowl for whipping. There we send finely chopped ice, or cold water.
- Beat until stable foam appears. Pour into a glass. The drink is ready.
Instant coffee option
- Instant coffee - 1-2 teaspoons.
- 1-2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Ice or chilled water.
- You have two options.You can first make instant coffee in the usual way, cool it, then repeat the process with whipping.
- Or go the other way. Add instant coffee, ice, and sugar to the container. Beat until the drink is ready and foam appears.
This option has a slight advantage. Instant coffee gives a larger foam (and how much can it be stored?).
Frappe with milk recipe
- A portion of the prepared coffee - 50 ml.
- Sugar to taste.
- Chipped ice 50 grams.
- Milk - 40 ml.
- In the first stages, proceed similarly to the previous options. Prepare a serving of coffee, add sugar and additives to it, cool.
- Pour coffee into the shaker and add ice. Beat until foam appears.
- Pour the finished drink into a glass. Pour a portion of milk gently there.
Since the temperature of the drink is very low, it is customary to serve it in cocktail glasses. Observe the following rules.
- In order to further emphasize the low temperature, several ice cubes are added to the glass.
- Need a straw - it’s convenient to drink through it.
- In expensive restaurants, it is customary to serve frappe with an additional dessert. Tiramisu, strudel or a scoop of ice cream will work well.
- Calorie frappe is extremely low - without sugar and additives does not exceed 5 kcal. If you change the recipe, you need to calculate the total calorie content taking into account the added ingredients (see how to calculate the calorie content of coffee).
- The caffeine content indicator directly depends on the type and type of coffee that you use. Use the information on the packaging. Why do you always want coffee?
- The cost of a drink at home is about 10 rubles.
- In cafes and restaurants, the price tag for a serving of frappe will be in the region of 80-150 rubles.
Have you tried to make such a drink? Share your experience in the comments!