“I’ll go to work as a nanny! If I raised my children, then I can handle strangers too! ”You decided. To your career has successfully developed in this direction, listen to our advice.
You love children, quickly find a common language with them, feel that there is both a desire and the strength to take and try yourself in a new field - to become a nanny. So the role of Mary Poppins may suit you. But actually looking after other people's children is sometimes more difficult than their own. Let's deal with the main issues that all novice nannies face.
Where and how to look for a nanny place?
You can search for a baby sitter place on the Internet by contacting recruitment agencies, social networks, sites like YouDo.com, an online consumer services service, using word of mouth or posting announcements about schools and kindergartens in the old fashion (“I offer babysitting services” ) If you contact a recruitment agency, be prepared to pay for its services. Usually this happens upon hiring. If you did not have experience as a nanny, then it is better to start with one-time calls (for example, to sit with the baby while parents go shopping).
What work options are there?
✓ Irregular. You are involved several hours a day or not every day.
✓ Regular all day long. You take the child to your place or come to the customer’s house for the whole day.
✓ Regular, but for a few hours. For example, you pick up a child from a kindergarten, school and take them to mugs.
Nanny with accommodation. You live in the employer's house, looking after the child around the clock.
✓ “Home kindergarten”. This is a suitable option for a large family. The chance of mom’s official employment, support from a state educational institution. But here you need to correctly execute all documents, take into account security requirements, etc. (see information on the websites of the Ministry of Education of your region).
Can you become a nanny?
Answer honestly to yourself the question “Do I like to spend time with children?”. Think about why you need this activity (for the sake of money, you enjoy communicating with children, you want to try yourself in a new profession). The main thing in the work of the nanny is to be able to find contact with children. And if you can not cope with your child, do not like kids - look for another option for part-time work. Be sure to evaluate your physical abilities (are you able, for example, to engage in a baby who has not yet learned to speak and walk).
If you are ready for the role of a nanny, then look for a family that needs your services. And go for an interview. Remember: they choose you, but you choose! Your task is to find a family in which it will be comfortable to work.
So you went through the interview. You have agreed on the money. Be prepared that the family will ask you for a passport, a medical book (you may have to undergo additional medical examination). Discuss your responsibilities in detail to avoid future misunderstandings. If you want to legalize your activities, you can conclude an agreement with the employer (agency or parents).
You agreed on the conditions and date of entry to work. What's next?
How to prepare for the role of a nanny?
Learn the age-related features of your ward (it is clear that caring for a one-year-old baby is different from raising a schoolchild).
Remember the rules of first aid.
Find out all the information about the child: the parents' phones, health features (are there any allergies to certain products, menus, daily routines, etc.), interests, as he is affectionately called home, and more.
If you take the child to your home, then you are already at work, and all the time and attention belongs to your ward.
If you have a child and you take a foster child to your home?
Be prepared for the fact that your child can be jealous of a stranger. Still: before, his mother was all his, toys, too. Obviously, the appearance of a new object of attention can cause stress in your baby. Not the fact that they get along right away. Therefore, it is worth preparing your child for change. Often go with him to visit friends who have children. Invite neighboring children to visit you so that the baby learns to share with other toys, books.
To begin with, it is better to find as a ward a child of the same age as yours. It will be easier both for you and your son (daughter). They will have one mode, they are more interested in playing together. Specify in advance with the pupil's parents possible options for the development of the situation in case of illness of one or another child.
! Remember that your pupil is not your child! For all matters related to his upbringing, you should consult with his parents. And clearly implement their recommendations. And then you will succeed!
How to work as a nanny at home
There are many options for babysitting:
- Irregular - comes a few hours a day when there is no one to leave the child with. This usually happens spontaneously, not every day. For example, when mom needs to go about her business.
- Regularly not a short period of time. For example, you need to take the child from kindergarten / school from Monday to Friday, take him home and wait for the parents to arrive.
- Regularly for the whole day - from 8 to 20 pm, while the parents are working. This is a kind of replacement for kindergarten, so that the child is always under supervision.
- Nanny with accommodation - in this case you need to live in the house and look after the baby around the clock. In Russia, this option is not common.
- Incoming nanny - comes to the house of the parents and there to monitor the child. Used most often.
- Nanny at home - parents bring the child to your house, and at the end of time they pick up. Most often, this option is used with occasional supervision for 1-2 hours.
How much does the nanny earn?
This question cannot be answered unambiguously, because prices depend on so many factors:
- Is there a suitable education
- Do you have personal or working experience?
- Reviews and reputation,
- Availability of a medical book,
- City of residence,
- Financial condition of the family,
- A child - his character, age, characteristics, illness, etc.
So it’s impossible to predict and suggest the rates for your work. Focus on the average in your city.
But on average in Russia for 1 hour with departure to the house 150-300 rubles, for a week with constant supervision of a child (Mon-Fri from 8 to 20) - 7000-10 000 rubles. And if you have a teacher education, medical care skills, experience, reputation, positive reviews and you live in a large city, you can take about 500 rubles per hour for professional childcare.
1 Irina, 48 years old, grandmother of a 3-year-old child
The site www.pomogatel.ru helped me in my search for work. Often, some parents want to see as a nanny a woman with a pedagogical or medical education. But I, for example, have a humanitarian education, but not a pedagogical one. I don’t hide it. And for many parents this is rather a plus. “Less dogma and stereotype,” they say.
I advise you to discuss financial issues “ashore”: payment options (hourly or fixed, payment once a week / two weeks / per month, in cash, on a card), etc. I advise you to keep a schedule of your work hours (arrival and departure times). There is another point: the work of the nanny is often “unofficial”, that is, without pension contributions. Here you decide how to draw up "self-employment" and report on revenues to the state. I opened an IP related to a handmade hobby.
I worked in different families and came to the conclusion: it is important to find your family. If your views on parenting differ from your parents, then you will not last long there.
For example, I worked in a family where a child was not allowed to run naked and walk without shoes. And only a couple of minutes in front of the bathtub he was given the opportunity to feel, to see his body. So with this baby all the moments of dressing turned into “battles”, it was possible to calm him only by turning on the cartoons. He switched to the TV and was not aware of the dressing process ...
Of course, the nanny’s task is to do as parents said. But if there is no agreement between them, then it would be nice to sit down and all adults to draw up a set of rules. And try to fulfill them. In the name of the child!
2 Marina, 23 years old, mother of a child 2 years old
I have a pedagogical education and a child of two years is a huge plus for the nanny. With young nannies, children are interested: they are as mobile, versed in computers and gadgets. I do one-time tasks on YouDo.com, and I don’t take work on a regular basis: my child is still small, I can’t guarantee that I can always go out 2-3 times a week.
Before taking the task, I always look at the requirements of the parents and weigh everything. I’m more interested with small ones, the same as mine. With those older, it's just not interesting to sit watching cartoons, it is better to conduct developmental classes in the role of a tutor, rather than a nanny.
How to Find a Nanny Place on YouDo.com
Pass verification, become a performer on the service. For this:
- Fill out the profile (avatar, the availability of a pedagogical, psychological or medical education, information on whether you have your own child, a description of experience with children). If you, for example, arranged children's parties, tell us about it, add photos to your portfolio. Describe the conditions on which you are ready to cooperate. A detailed profile increases the chances of getting a job by 30%.
- Take care of user reviews (confirmation of your qualifications, reliability). After completing the task, remind the customer to leave feedback about you on the service.
- Add links to social networks (they will increase the credibility of the profile).
Brief description of the nanny profession
This profession can rightfully be considered one of the oldest, and the work of a nanny is similar to the work of a teacher. The nanny teaches, monitors the daily routine and nutrition, is responsible for the moral, mental and physical health of her ward.
Consider the main types of nannies:
- day, working with children from morning to evening. She takes the child to school, circles, takes him out of school, is engaged with him, can cook food. If such a nanny is invited to a preschooler, then her duties include hours-long walks, proper nutrition, developing games and activities,
- night, which will be with the child from 8 pm to morning. Such a nanny can be invited both for the whole night and for several hours,
- the nanny living in the apartment of the employers provides 24-hour care for the child,
- a housemaid who combines child care responsibilities with housekeeping.
We can distinguish between a seasonal nanny who takes care of the child during the holidays and an evening one who will pick up the child from school while being with him until the parents return from work. A separate category should include nanny guards, who, in addition to education, are responsible for ensuring the safety of their ward.
Features of the nanny profession
Modern parents invite a nanny to children who are 2-4 weeks old. The responsibilities of a child care provider depend on the terms of the contract:
- cooking healthy food for children of any age, feeding,
- ensuring that the child respects hygiene standards,
- escort of the pupil,
- observance of the daily routine, cleaning and ironing of children's things,
- behavior correction, speech development,
- therapeutic massage for the youngest children,
- games with a child appropriate to his age,
- cleaning the children's room,
- learning with the child the rules of etiquette and behavior in society,
- prevention of unforeseen situations: domestic injuries, diseases,
- keeping a child development diary,
- report to the parents of the ward.
Other conditions may be spelled out in the contract: cooking for employers, full-fledged cleaning of premises, purchase of products, accompaniment of a child during rest, etc.
A person working in this field does not have the right to raise a child’s voice, to set him up against his parents, to engage in personal affairs during working hours. The nanny must make sure that dangerous objects, household chemicals, medicines are always in the zone of inaccessibility for the child.
Employers and recruitment agencies want to see an experienced nanny in their staff who has a diploma of a teacher, a pathologist, and a speech therapist. It is desirable to have a secondary medical education necessary for providing first aid to a child, performing a number of medical and developmental procedures at home. The nanny must have good health, properly delivered speech, good taste, a strong nervous system.
Pros and cons of the nanny profession
- Constant work with a stable salary.
- You can study and improve qualifications, which will lead to an increase in fees.
- People of any age can work in this area.
- If the nanny works with accommodation, then she practically does not need to think about household issues.
- Parents of children are too demanding.
- High responsibility.
- In the event of any unforeseen situations that have occurred with the child, the nanny will be to blame.
- It may be difficult to raise children.
A nanny must have a higher pedagogical or secondary medical education in order to be able to work with children. Often, nannies improve their skills by studying foreign languages and etiquette, learning to play musical instruments. The more the nanny knows and knows how, the higher her qualifications and salary.
Note that highly paid nannies who know 2 foreign languages and speech therapy methods can be invited to the family only by people with a high income. Therefore, for nannies working with middle-income clients, one higher education and diploma confirming the passage of specialized courses are enough.
School of home staff №1
Students will study at this school remotely, receiving the profession of a nanny-governess. Each student who has paid for the course will be sent more than 100 video tutorials and more than 40 textual support materials. Future nannies study on their own, access to materials is open for 20 days. A nanny who has studied all the materials well receives a certificate, after which the school can help her find a recruitment agency.
School "Nanny Professional"
After studying at this school, students receive a state certificate, after which they can easily find work in a decent family. The form of study is full-time, the course consists of 72 academic hours, for admission it is necessary to have a diploma of secondary education.
Place of work
Nannies work on the territory of the employer - these are apartments, cottages, apartments in other countries. Often, nannies are invited to families who need helpers during field trips, traveling abroad, trips to relatives. The nanny can come to the employer or live with him, in the latter case she gets her own room, compulsory full nutrition, 1-2 days off per week, but here it all depends on the terms of the contract.
Note that babysitters rarely look for work themselves. They collaborate with agencies that select staff for families. A nanny who wants to get into the database of a trusted agency must provide education documents, a medical book, recommendations, if she has one.
The nanny's salary depends on her skills and professional knowledge. Nannies who work with developing methods know a foreign language, etiquette, know how to drive a car, provide medical care, receive a higher salary than assistants who cook healthy food and accompany their children to school.The size of the salary is also affected by the number of children with whom you have to work. If 2-3 babies grow up in a family, then the rate automatically rises by 50-80%.
What are the responsibilities of a nanny at home
It should be understood that the responsibilities listed here are only a general list, which can be supplemented and replaced depending on the requirements of the parents. In each case, responsibilities are negotiated separately.
- Come to work on time in a neat and tidy way. If an emergency happens and you cannot come, warn in advance. Or at least just call and report it.
- Take / remove the child from school, circles and developmental sections. Take home and monitor it until the parents arrive or at the agreed time.
- Cook, eat the right food (negotiated with parents), feed, clean up after the child.
- Follow hygiene - wash the baby or persuade an adult child to wash their hands before eating.
- Strictly observe the agreed daily regimen - eating, sleeping, entertaining, developing activities.
- Walk and watch the baby while walking.
- Monitor his health: prevent illness and injury. In case of illness, treat, care, take care of the child.
- Develop, train, force to do homework or help with them.
- Play and entertain the child, talk with him and create a pleasant atmosphere.
The most important thing to remember is that this is not your child, which means that you need to consult with your parents on all issues. Strictly follow their instructions and not take the initiative (for example, punish, give sweets, temper, take to unfamiliar places).
But in general, you should temporarily replace the child's parents. Although in the case of irregular gatherings for 1-2 hours, you most likely will just need to take something with the child and make sure that he does not get hurt. There are no such strict requirements and a long list of responsibilities.
How to become a nanny at home
1. Decide on your free time. - What is your work schedule? If the work is hourly, immediately mark the free time in the calendar so that when you call from the parent you can quickly say if you can sit with the baby.
2. Determine your rates. To do this, evaluate your strengths (education, experience, recommendations, etc.). Look at the average prices in the city, so as not to underestimate or overstate the price.
3. Pull up your knowledge. Even if you are a mother of three children, you should still learn different methods of education, learn how to provide first aid and refresh your forgotten knowledge.
4. Find orders. As already mentioned above, for beginners without work experience it is better to pay attention to one-time orders for 1-2 hours. For such work do not make high demands, especially if you will not overcharge.
5. Have an interview. This is a very serious moment, especially if you are looking forward to long-term cooperation. Pay attention to your appearance, prepare all the necessary information and be prepared to answer a bunch of different questions.
6. Gather the necessary information from your parents. Before you are left alone with your child, you need to learn a lot of data. Phones of parents, where they go and when they return, how to urgently contact them + a couple more spare contacts. Find out the features of child care - allergies, illnesses, habits, what is possible and what is not allowed. Do not forget to specify where the first medical aid and medicines lie. How to feed the baby, his regimen and other things that may be important in this case.
7. Watch your baby carefully. When the parents leave, there is no need to relax and let it go. If only because the apartment may have hidden cameras and microphones to watch the nanny. Do not bring friends, even if the baby fell asleep. Take time for the child - talk with him, play, make contact. If he likes you, you will most likely be invited again.
How to find a job
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find “customers” here. Most parents do not trust the baby the first person they come across, so you will have to build a reputation and prove your professional suitability.
Be prepared to take tests - assess your appearance, hold the baby in your arms, talk with the baby, and answer the test questions "how will you act if ...."
There are several directions to search:
- Word of mouth - you offer your services to friends with children, and they tell their friends about you. You can offer free trial a couple of hours.
- Contact the agency for the selection of domestic staff - suitable for large enough cities to have such companies. People are more likely to turn to just such companies in order to choose a trusted person. But they usually do not take everyone in a row, but set certain rules (medical book, teacher education, work experience, etc.).
- Announcements on the network - on the city portal (maternal forum) advertise your services. Advertise on social networks, message boards and other sites.
- Post ads near kindergarten, children's stores, etc.
Beginners without work experience and suitable education should start with a low payment. Choose options where you want to sit for 1-2 hours with your child or pick up from school and take home. Offer a not very high price + review and recommendations to friends. If you do well, it will be a great start for you. And this family will turn to you again and again, even when you raise the prices.
Tips & Tricks
- Before bathing your baby, make sure that everything you need is in the bathroom. Never leave your child in the water unattended to run after a towel or toy.
- If the baby is old enough and hesitates to take a bath with you, take a book with you and read it out loud. So the child will not be shy (you do not look at him), but he is still under supervision.
- When changing a diaper on a changing table, keep everything you need at your fingertips (napkins, powder, diaper) so as not to be distracted or leave your child. A few seconds are enough for him to roll and fall off the table.
- Do not use obscene and abusive language in the presence of a child. Parents will be very unhappy with their nanny if she teaches the baby these words.
- Do not be afraid to call the child again, especially at first. It’s better to clarify some points and protect the child than to apologize for the irreparable later.
- Do not sleep at work - this is unacceptable. You should always stay awake and keep an eye on the baby.
- Do not leave your baby with a stranger unless your parents allow it. Even if the child says that he knows him, it is better to call back the parents and describe the person.
- Never leave a child alone unattended, especially outdoors, in a car or in public places.
- Secure the room where the child is - hide the sockets, remove sharp objects, hide household chemicals, tablets, etc. Close the windows - the mosquito net will not hold the baby if he rests on it.
- Strictly adhere to all instructions given by parents.
Now you know what is the responsibility of a nanny at home, how to become a nanny and how much you can earn on this. It remains only to determine whether this work is suitable for you? Do you cope with all the duties and responsibilities?