Taking a cat in her arms may seem like a simple task, however, it must be approached correctly so that the cat feels comfortable and cannot be injured. Before you try to pick up a cat in your arms, you must make sure that in your presence it feels safe and completely calm. Some cats require a more “delicate” approach than others, especially if the pet is afraid of people or suffers from certain diseases, such as arthritis. Only after a good relationship has been established with the cat does the time come when you can try to pick it up in your arms, while properly supporting its body.
Why does a cat not like to sit in her arms?
Zoopsychologists say: if domestic cats could choose, most of them would prefer that they never be picked up and raised. Even if a pet trusts a person, it still feels complete comfort only while standing with all four legs on the ground. So do not be surprised if the pet protests against the “pens” - such behavior for cats is more likely the norm than deviation.
How to hold the cat in your arms
Reasons why the cat does not want to sit in her arms:
- Distraction If the cat saw something interesting - a bird outside the window or a moving shadow - she will want to explore what she saw and will jump from your hands.
- Strong smell. The cat's smell is 14 times more sensitive than the human one: in a person’s brain there are 5-20 million cells responsible for sensation and recognition of smells, in a cat - 60-80 million. The animal doesn’t like any strong aromas, especially spices, citruses, perfumes, washing powder alcohol. You can read more about the smell of cats in our separate article.
A cat’s nose is many times more sensitive than a human’s
A street cat sees danger everywhere
How to Recognize Arthritis in Cats
Of course, the character traits of a particular animal can also determine its love or dislike for close tactile contact.
Do not dare to squeeze my majesty!
There are closed, self-sufficient or fearful cats that cannot bear physical contact from birth, do not like to communicate and play. It also happens that the animal simply does not take the initiative, but does not mind if it is picked up and stroked. And sometimes a cat simply does not accept any family member or guest, and this “brutal sentence” is not subject to appeal. If you wish, you can tame the animal, arouse a sense of trust in him, but you will have to spend a lot of time and labor. The most important thing is not to force the cat to caress and physical contact.
How to pick up a cat
When picking up a pet, it’s important to ensure comfort and prevent injury. You don’t see anything complicated in raising a cat, do you think that any contact method is convenient for him? Pet in 99% of cases does not agree with you. Knowing exactly how to hold a cat and how to handle it while you have it in your hands is a useful skill.
Signs of the pet’s readiness for such a contact: the cat purrs, rubs about you, is affectionate or calm, does not show signs of fright or pain.
If these signs are evident, you can go on rapprochement. Here's what a step-by-step correct way to raise and hold a cat looks like:
Step 1. Calm the cat. So that the cat does not get nervous and is not afraid, come to her so that she sees you. To do this, you need to stay in her field of vision, quietly gently talking to her. Approaching a cat from the back is not a good idea, the animal can get scared and panic. It’s ideal to approach a little from the side, because the “head-on” approach can be perceived as a threat.
Important! Do not pick up street cats, even if it seems that they do not mind contact. The animal can be scared, already in its arms, and scratch you badly. The exception is “familiar” street cats. Often people decide to take their favorite cat from the street to the house. However, this is due to domestic and psychological problems. Adaptation can take a lot of time and effort. Learn how to tame a cat in our separate article.
Step 2. Show friendliness. Even if the pet has been living with you for many years, it simply may not be configured for “hugging” at this very moment. Therefore, it is important to let the cat know what you want to make it nice. Say hello to the animal. Like his relatives. Cats often rub their faces when they meet, you can also pet your forehead and cheeks, scratch behind your ear or chin. This is a kind of preparation, calming the cat and making it clear that you intend to pick it up.
Stroking is a good way to build trust
Step 3. Make sure that the cat also wants in his arms. Does the animal move away, hiss, press its ears, look unhappy, try to bite or hit with its paw? Do not get close to it right now, you can try again later.
This guy doesn't mind hugging!
Step 4. Place your palm under the animal’s body behind the front paws, grab the cat under the hind legs with the second palm so that it feels reliable support. Such a capture seems to create a comfortable cradle for the cat.
Here's how to keep a cat
Step 5. Carefully lift the pet, easily pressing it to the chest - this way it will feel safe. Lift so that the head of the cat "looked" up.
Black handsome man feels confident.
Some cats like to put their paws on the shoulders of the owner - take a closer look at your pet and determine its preferences and habits.
Important: Raising a pet head down is prohibited!
How to hold a cat or cat in your arms
Keeping the cat near the chest, focus on its habits and reactions. Each pet and owner is unique, your contact will be unique. However, there are a number of universal recommendations that will help you and the cat understand each other and enjoy communication.
- Hold the pet, holding it lightly to the chest, while its head and neck should be raised up - this is the way the animal is most comfortable.
How to keep a cat
Important: a cat can be held by a scruff only if it is necessary to give her medicine or to carry out a procedure. But at the same time, under her paws, she should have firm support. At the same time, both front paws can be held by intercepting with the palm of your hand.
It is better not to pick up newborn kittens at all - there is a risk of skeleton deformation. In addition, some cats are able to abandon cubs due to the smell of others.
Kittens should not be picked up too early
When you don’t need to take a cat in your arms:
- with an unstable emotional state,
Sudden attacks of rage in previously calm and affectionate pets often lead the owners into a stupor, leaving the question of the reasons for the cardinal change in behavior of the cat. You can read more about aggression in cats in our separate article.
- while playing or hunting,
- during a nap and sleep
- during a fight.
In all these cases, the beast can react unpredictably aggressively. You should also not hold the cat up with its paws - in this position, it feels caught and in danger, and is able to twist, scratching your face. Wash the affected area with soap and water, then treat with an external antibiotic. For bites and deep scratches, consult a doctor.
How to let go of a cat? Do not drop it on the floor - an unsuccessful landing can cause injury. Gently put it on its feet immediately, as it begins to show signs of discontent.
How to calm a cat in his arms
A cat who purred five minutes ago, snuggling up to you, suddenly got nervous? This is a frequent occurrence that puzzles the hosts - how could it be, just that everything was good!
I loved and hated ..
Zoopsychologists have explained this feature of feline behavior. The paradox is that the animal at the same time likes and dislikes the owner’s affection. At the genetic level, she perceives such close contact as a sign of danger. As long as the cat can, she suffers touch, but as soon as the patience is full and the feeling becomes unpleasant, she tries to run away, bites, scratches, nervously licks.
Be careful about the behavior of the pet in your arms. If a cat is actively moving, fidgeting, mewing, trying to break out, it means that she is uncomfortable. In no case do not hold the pet against his will, otherwise contact will become for him a source of fear, anxiety and insecurity.
Aggression of a cat does not occur just like that
What to do if a cat breaks free? Put it on the floor and allow it to “go crazy” - having relieved tension, the cat will relax and, perhaps, will come to iron again. If the level of aggression is too high, lock the animal in a separate room with a minimum of traumatic objects. To avoid such situations in public places, keep the cat in a carrying. You can also give the cat a sedative preparation before the trip.
If, nevertheless, the cat is in your hands, there is no carrying, and you are in a public place, go to a place where there are fewer people and other annoying factors. Let the cat hide its face in the fold of the elbow or folds of clothing. Talk quietly and gently to her, scratching behind her ear or stroking her cheeks. Do not scream and do not punish - this will only make you worse.
How to train a kitten
Tame a kitten to sit in his arms from childhood - from 4-6 weeks of age. Such an early socialization will benefit the pet - it will be more calm and trusting in relation to people.
How to accustom a cat to hands since "childhood":
- Encourage a treat. Give top dressing only after taking the kitten in your hands and stroking it. Thus, a positive expectation of contact is developed and consolidated.
- Iron more often. Such behavior will develop an understanding in the animal: human hands, in addition to food, give care and safety.
Iron your kitten more often
The kitten needs to be lifted correctly: supporting one palm under the stomach, the other under the butt, the tail is neatly pressed between the legs. The movements should be smooth, accurate. It’s better not to take the kitten by the scruff of the neck - only a mother cat determines a safe place with a 100% probability.
Table 1. When and how to pick up a cat.
|Age||How to keep a cat|
|0-4 weeks||it is not recommended to take a cat in your arms at all|
|4-25 weeks||support with one palm under the stomach, the other under the ass, while the tail is neatly pressed between the legs|
|from 25 weeks||one palm under the body behind the front paws, the second supports the hind legs so that the cat feels reliable support, the animal is gently pressed to the human chest|
You can accustom an adult animal to contact with the help of peculiar exercises. To begin with, just slowly place your palm on the side of the cat and remove it just as slowly, after which treat your pet with a treat. After a few days, place the other hand on the other side of the cat, continuing to reinforce the teachings with refreshments. As soon as the cat gets used to it and ceases to be afraid of touching it, begin to lightly press its palms on the sides, as if you were going to raise the pet. Repeat the exercise until the animal begins to perceive your touch as something familiar.
Cat in the hands of a child
As a rule, cats react negatively when a child picks them up. Why? There are several reasons:
- children do not know how to recognize a pet’s reactions and release it in time,
- children do not know how or physically cannot hold a cat correctly, causing her pain and inconvenience,
- children can chase the animal to catch it.
The result of such communication is often stress and trauma in a cat and a child. Therefore, it is important to tell the baby how to interact with the animal.
Vasya, but you definitely don’t want to handle
Step 1. Do not allow “neglected” contact between the child and the cat. Explain to the baby all the reactions of the pet, tell how to establish contact.
Step 2. Show how to take and hold the cat in your arms. A child under 5-6 years old is better not to raise a cat - he simply will not be able to keep it correctly.
Step 3. Explain how to understand that the cat is unhappy and wants to be let go.
Explain to your child how to understand that the cat is unhappy
Step 4. Show how to let the cat go without dropping it on the floor.
Step 5. Tell us what you can’t do with the cat (drive, pull by the tail, catch, hold by force, beat).
Important! Teach your child not to use his hands as a toy in interaction with a cat, otherwise the animal will decide that biting and scratching is perfectly acceptable.
Can an adult animal be raised at the withers?
It is not recommended to lift the pet by the skin between the shoulder blades. If mother cats in this way transfer their cubs from place to place, this does not mean that this method of movement is suitable for adults. It is impossible to take and hold representatives of the cat family at the withers, because after 3 months of age they become quite large and heavy, and such an action can lead to neck injury.
How to keep a pet?
It is also necessary to know how to properly hold a pet. The following rules are recommended:
- Position the animal near the chest so that its head is slightly above the level of the body.
- Gently push the cat to you, avoiding strong squeezing. Excessive pressure will not only cause her discomfort, but can also cause pain, and in some cases lead to injury, especially when it comes to a kitten with a bone system that is not yet fully strengthened.
- Make sure that the body of the pet is straightened. It is not recommended to allow the body to sag and to place it upside down. An inconvenient posture will cause the cat, discomfort, to begin to violently break out of her arms. If you do not immediately let her go, she is able to bite and scratch the owner.
How to let the animal go?
Usually cats do not like to be in the owner’s hands for a long time, and even if you take and hold the pet in your arms correctly, after some time it will want to be free. This does not mean that the animal dislikes its owner. Such behavior is caused by animal instincts that dictate the desire for maximum freedom of existence for feline representatives.
If the cat begins to feel uneasy and spin, it means it's time to lower it to the floor. It is not recommended to keep the pet forcibly. It is also forbidden to try to do this with a scream. He will begin to break out of his hands, and if the claws and teeth go into the course, it is unlikely that injuries will be avoided. Moreover, the animal may lose confidence in the owner and subsequently will reject any attempts to pick it up.
It is forbidden to throw the cat or let it go too sharply. In the first case, the animal, especially the kitten, can be injured. With a sharp release of the cat, it is able to release its claws, leaving deep wounds on the owner's hands.
When should you not take a cat in your arms?
Not always a pet can be picked up. To do this, it is recommended to improve the convenient moment. Do not try to wrap your cat in your arms when it:
- Too busy. It is not recommended to distract the pet from playing or looking at the birds outside the window. An excited or enthusiastic animal is unlikely to want to be distracted from an interesting activity. If you try to pick it up, it will wriggle violently, using its claws and teeth.
- Dozing or sleeping. A pet torn from Morpheus’s embrace is unlikely to appreciate trying to wrap him in an embrace.
- Is hunting. Hunting for felines is considered an extremely important activity, and even if its object is a sun bunny or a fly, the animal should not be distracted.
- Fights with brothers or other domestic or street animals.Trying to get a cat out of a fight is a huge mistake on the part of its owner. Instead of a cute pet, an angry creature will be on hand, which in a furious state can seriously injure its owner.
- Eating or washing. As with hunting, cats are treated with special awe to the absorption of food and hygienic procedures. You can take a pet in your arms only after it finishes eating and washing.
To teach kittens to such close contact is necessary from an early age. To do this:
- to encourage the four-legged baby with a treat after it’s in its arms,
- pet and caress the pet as often as possible in order to develop in it an understanding that the owner’s hands are not fraught with danger,
- accustom a kitten to fall asleep in his arms - close contact with a person will be associated with comfort, calmness and safety,
- Do not drive the baby away when he asks for his hands; usually it’s enough to give him a few minutes.
Not every four-legged pet enjoys the fact that the owner restricts his movements. There are cats that struggle to resist anyone who tries to raise them. And once in strong master's hands, they try to break out as quickly as possible.
Everyone knows the phrase: "The cat walks by itself." It is based on natural instincts, preserved in their genotype even after a large amount of time from the moment of their domestication. This is the main reason that pets do not like to be in the hands of the owner.
Cat owners tend to raise and pet their pets as often as possible. To please both man and animal, it is necessary to analyze in detail the question of how to properly hold the cat in its arms.
How to take a cat?
Before studying the question of how to properly raise and hold a cat, you need to remember a few simple rules for handling an animal:
- Avoid over-squeezing your pet's body. He will remember your actions and next time try to avoid these unpleasant sensations. In a cat, pain will become associated with the person who caused it.
- Do not keep your pet against his will. At the first attempt to leave, release him. Holding all the forces of an animal that is breaking free will not lead to anything good.
- The loud meow that the pet makes when you try to raise it is a signal that you previously caused him inconvenience or hurt.
The following sequence of steps will tell you how to take a cat in your arms:
- Make sure that the pet is friendly, not busy with active pastime and is not afraid of you.
- Slowly and without making sudden movements, approach him.
- Gently contact the cat or say something good to her.
- Stroke the cat and scratch it behind the ear.
- A relaxed animal is a signal that it does not mind being in your hands. This can also be understood by gentle meowing, purring and looking into the eyes.
- Place one hand under the cat’s body immediately behind the front legs. Another hold her back and carefully lift it.
- Press the cat to you so that she feels comfort and safety.
How to hold the cat in your arms?
The animal should be near the chest. Never squeeze it, just press it slightly against you. Keep the animal’s body almost straight. Do not allow it to sag upside down. If the pet feels uncomfortable, he will try to break out of his hands. To achieve this, sharp claws and teeth can be used. The head of the cat should be just above the torso.
You can not raise the animal by the scruff, despite the prevalence of this technique. If cats drag kittens in a similar way, this does not mean that adults also benefit from this method of moving. After 3 months, the cat is large, so raising the withers will bring her strong pain and threatens with muscle injury.
How to let go of a cat?
If everything is done correctly, but after some time the cat begins to feel uncomfortable, then it is time to let her go. You should not try to hold the cat by force, because it will begin to feel fear and panic. With each such case, the pet's confidence in the owner will begin to decline and it will be more and more difficult to pick it up.
Put your pet on the ground so that it stands on all its paws, and remove your hands. In no case do not leave the cat! Sometimes she can jump herself, so do not be scared.
Now you know how to take a cat in your arms. The tips below will help to avoid discomfort for the owner and pet as a result of communication:
- A cat should not be taken with one hand, because this movement will cause her discomfort. The animal will start to resist and try to leave your company. Always raise your pet with both hands.
- Do not act against cat's will, do not use force. Do not forget that individual pets, in principle, do not like to be raised. Take the animal only when it is really necessary: visiting a veterinarian, a trip to the exhibition or transportation to the cottage.
- You can not shout at the beast and make sudden movements. During communication, use a soft tone and affectionate expressions.
When everything is done correctly and contact with the cat is established, then after some time she herself will begin to strive to find herself in your arms. The most important thing in answering the question of how to properly hold the cat in its arms is to create a sense of security for it, the absence of physical and psychological discomfort. An affectionate and patient attitude is the key to achieving mutual understanding between a person and a pet.
Cats are one of the most popular pets. Due to the wide distribution, many have the impression that keeping an animal is very simple. This is not entirely true, because even experienced animal lovers sometimes make mistakes in their contents. Future owners have a lot of questions - how to hold a cat in its arms, how to feed it and how to care for it.
It is better to feed the cat with fresh products without chemical additives. Its digestive system is different from ours, therefore, the diet must be unique. Before serving, it is better to rinse meat with boiling water or boil. From time to time, menus include dairy products, eggs, cereals and vegetables. Fried foods, salt, spices and river fish should not be given to animals.
In extreme cases, you can use dry or canned food. Not all of them are useful, so the choice is to stop at the highest class feed made from natural ingredients. Only they are able to provide a complete and balanced diet for a pet.
The hair of a cat needs grooming, especially for decorative breeds. They need to be combed out every day. Without this procedure, long-haired cats can have problems with the digestive system, which gets clogged with shreds during licking. There are special drugs that help remove hairballs from the stomach. Cats with short hair are recommended to comb out once a week.
Bathing pets is carried out twice a year. The procedure helps to maintain healthy skin.